Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I'm going to the nationals, but can't stay the whole time. IN terms of picking events, I'm wondering--if I go to the Field Trials or Hunt Tests as a spectator, will I be able to see anything? Or is all the action so far out in the field that we'll spend most of the day just standing around, waiting for the hounds to come in?
Thanks for any advice.
Sharon Hall
Theodore, CGC
Pearl, CGC, CDX

[ August 21, 2004, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: S. Hall ]

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I've found you mostly stand around listening for the arooooos.

In my opinion, for sheer entertainment you can't beat basset obedience and agility. Especially when the hounds make up their own variations on the exercises. :D

·
Registered
939 Posts
if you want to see what happens at a trial or a hunt test you have to follow the dogs!!! to do that you can ask a handler if you can follow along with him/her to watch their hound run.i don't know who is judging the trial or hunt test but if you do go to either one,go to where they are taking the entries and ask for the field trial chairman/hunt test chairman.explain to them that you would like to follow along and ask which handlers would be likly to let you go along,most people will more than happy to drag you along and show what really goes on.just stay with the handlers as they will be behind the judges who are watching the hounds work.if you get there early enough you can meet the judges and ask them b/4 hand what they are looking for when the dog is running and they will try to explain it to you also.you may not be able to ask them once it starts but between 1st and 2nd series on the braces or hounds you followed you can ask them what they did and why they picked what dog,tell them b/4 hand that you are interested in the sport and would like to ask them some questions and most will be more than willing to help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts