Basset Hounds Forum banner

National Poison Prevention Week

1151 Views 0 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  Betsy Iole
(NEW YORK, NY) March 15, 2004 -- The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center is sending a nationwide alert to pet owners during National Poison Prevention Week (March 21 27) about common human medications that can be dangerous and even deadly to pets.  Thousands of cats and dogs needlessly suffer and many die each year by accidental ingestion of human medications.  In 2003, the Center managed over 28,000 cases involving human medications, and were second only to pesticides as the most commonly reported cause of poisonings in animals.  By category, the most commonly reported medications included non-steroidal anti-inflammatory painkillers, antidepressants, cold/flu medicines and diet pills.

"Many pet owners may not be aware that human medications can be dangerous to pets", comments Dr. Steven Hansen, Senior Vice President of the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.  "While these medications can be helpful to humans, they can pose a serious and even life-threatening risk to animals."  The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center provides the following tips to help keep pets safe from accidental exposures to human medications:

Human medications are not formulated for pets; never give your pets medication unless you are directed to do so by a veterinarian.

Keep all drugs out of your pets' reach in closed cabinets.  Cats especially have the ability to jump onto tables and countertops, where medications can easily be knocked over.  Child-proof containers do not deter dogs from chewing open bottles and ingesting the contents.

If you suspect that your pet may have ingested a medication or other poisonous substance, seek medical attention immediately.

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center 1-888-426-4435


From Your Guide to Common Dog Poisonings

If you think your pet may have been exposed to a toxin, the best thing to do is to check the label of the item you think your pet ingested. Read the information about toxicity. Often, but not always, the information on packaging regarding children is relevant to pets and some manufacturers even discuss pet toxicity. If there is an 800 number on the package – call them! It's also recommended that you call your veterinarian to confirm the recommendations. If you go to your veterinarian, take all packaging and any information you have on the product.
Related articles:

Poisoning--What You Should Know
How to Induce Vomiting

Dangers of Holistic Medication
Iron Toxicity
Vitamin Toxicity
Aspirin Toxicity
Acetaminophen Toxicity
Ibruprofen Toxicity
Onion Toxicity Tip
Chocolate Toxicity
Ethylene Glycol [Antifreeze] Toxicosis

Recognizing an Emergency: Who and When to Call
Your Guide to Dog Emergencies

20 Common House Plants: Are They Dangerous?

Nontoxic Items Commonly Eaten by Dogs
See less See more
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.