Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just gonna vent here, so forgive me.
I live in a neighborhood with 160 houses. We have a nice sidewalk and streetlamps. We walk Maggie at least three times a day. When we walk Maggie in the neighborhood, we try to be good neighbors. We avoid taking her on the same side of the street, for example, as our neighbors with very young children who like to walk, because she can be too excitable and jumpy. We always take along bags for any solid presents she may leave along the way. Now, keep in mind that she is taken out to our yard several times a day to do her business. These walks are to stretch her legs and let her have a sniff fest. But c'mon, she's a dog and in the course of the 30 to 45 minute walk she will sometimes pee in the grass.
Enter nasty neighbor number one. This man has decided it is his sole purpose in life to "catch" her peeing in his yard so he can throw a fit. So, trying to be neighborly, we cross the street at this house and walk on the other side.
Enter nasty number two, across the street neighbor to number 1. In the past three days she has decided she has nothing better to do than to also get her dander up when we walk on the sidewalk near her house. She approached me Sunday morning and very rudely told me to keep my dog from peeing in her yard. OK, so adjustment to that, shorten the leash and keep moving quickly past her house, right?
Oh no, tonight she came out on her porch and yelled at my teenager for walking the dog on her "property" which is really the public sidewalk.
Now, she got my momma dander up. Don't yell at my kid. Don't lay claim to the public sidewalk and don't tell me where I can and cannot walk my dog.
What I want to do is leave her a very rude note in her mailbox in the morning asking her not to ever speak to my child directly again. But what I am doing, is venting here instead to try and calm down...
I am open to suggestions here, or solidarity, or sympathy, or whatever ya got.
:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'll be honest, I wouldn't be half as nice as you. You aren't doing anything wrong...in fact you're quite respectful. Stand your ground, tell her it's not her sidewalk. If she continues on send that attack beast Maggie loose on her ;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
I wouldn't be as nice either! Especially if she talked to my kid that way and I don't even HAVE any kids! I can understand her not wanting Maggie to pee in her grass, a little crazy, but I understand. But she has no right to the sidewalk and in fact probably three feet or so into her yard is probably owned by the city! I would go and talk to her about confronting your child. Tell her that your child was keeping Maggie out of her yard and if she ever yells at your child again, she'll have to deal with you directly. Good luck with it and keep us updated if you would.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
(sigh) i dunno Maggie May, but I wuldn't be able to survive there in Covington. (btw, I was almost named Covington! Covey for short)

i would tell both ur neighbors be glad Maggie May's not a boy and wanting to pee all the time and marking everything. I pee on everyone's grass and lawn here. most are apartment complexes, but some people's front lawns too, in front of their house. every day. all the time (sigh). we got lotsa dawgs here, so i guess they understand.

but that's crazy. now that we think about it more, my predecessor Mr. T was walked around a quiet suburbia neighborhood and he peed 25 times per walk. We never censored where he could go or not go, and never had to.

i'd be maaadd too with these pissy neighbors. i would remind them it's a public sidewalk. and i'd teach your son how to talk back to them (respectfully but firmly) if confronted again.
--Worm

·
Registered
762 Posts
Arrgh! Cat People?!! :) Just kidding but seriously they strike me as the type that right after griping at you would let their cats outside to crap in your garden, flower box, sand box, long jump pit whatever without a poop bag in sight!! Princess Buttercup would like their addresses... she's gotta pee REAL bad!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would agree that being super kind is your best route. They seem like the type of people that would just make matters worse if you try to argue with them. The sidewalk belongs to MaggieMay just as much as it does them! If neighbor 1 or 2 say anything else to your child, that is when I would kindly say to not speak to him, if they have a problem to take it up with you.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I agree that you should be super nice. Do you have an HOA? Maybe if smoeone on the board could side with you, you could lodge a complaint for her rudeness as long as you show that you are doing the best that can be expected of you.

I had a neighbor with a "no peeing" sign in their yard at my old rent house. Every time I walked Harley I was extra careful to make sure that he DID pee in that yard. I find it incredibly rude personally for people to expect you to control where your dog pees. He pees in the backyard many times a day and it's never had any affect on our lawn.

At my new house, I had the opposite experience. I was out getting the mail and a neighbor walked by with a 1 yr old basset hound that they had just rescued that week. I was very happy!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I've always found an unanticipated blood curdling scream to fix rude people. They never expect it, and then are afraid they have a lunatic on their hands.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just try to be as nice and friendly and deal with whatever she says to you and your kid... I mean, so she yelled at your kid. more or less, threatened your kid... So what? HA. Just yankin' yer tail.

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has been saying. -

Y'all gotta do unto others what they do unto you! If she's goin' on waving her fist at you, wave yours right back at her.
Bring your own opinion into the matter. If your teen stayed on the sidewalk (very much so public property) and she's gonna go on raving about her rights and what's hers and what you and your family can and cannot do, tell her what she can go do.. ;) I can understand she's mad about her property being harmed in a way, but pee isn't going to hurt anyone.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
When dealing with rude obnoxious people you have a could choice depending onyou comfort level with tense situation most wold rather avoid them hence the Ignore the behavior if the neighbor. If you read any of my post about usung this techniques is the dreaded extinction burst where the neighbor behavior will get worse before it gets better is likely to occur but if you can weather that it is like that the neighbor will eventually give up with you at least.

direct confortation never works
you need to be more devious and smarter fthan the neighbor. An you need to make them feel bad for their behavior, here is one way. Avoid thouse two house for a month, Get yourself the bigest fake hearing aid you can find and put it on the opposite from the house with the screach old lady on the return trip make sure to switch ears, the lady will be all full of psii an vinegar thing here rant actual work when you show uo again she will be a bit beside her sell, When she start ranting slow walk toward her make sure to keep the hearing aid concield but not in an obvious way, Be sure to walk across the lawn with the dog when there is a pause in her screaching and you are close enough that she can misss the hear aid you can turn your ear head toward the women clear your hair away from hearing aid drawing more atttention to it and in syrupy sweet voice say can you speek up I don;t hear so well. When screaching only encourage you to drag the dog across the lawn that behavior will end quickly.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
When dealing with rude obnoxious people you have a few choice depending on you comfort level with tense situation most would rather avoid them hence the Ignore the behavior. If you read any of my post about using this techniques in dog training is the dreaded extinction burst where the neighbor behavior will get worse before it gets better is likely to occur but if you can weather that it is like that the neighbor will eventually give up with you at least.

direct confortation never works

If you are desirious to "stir the pot" and get a meaure of come upance on the nieghbor you need to be more devious and smarter than the neighbor. which does not sound that difficult. A bit of acting skills goes a long way in pulling of any ruse, If you need to make them feel bad for their behavior, here is one way. Avoid those two house for a month, Get yourself the bigest fake hearing aid you can find and put it on the opposite side away from the house with the screach old lady on the return trip make sure to switch ears, the lady will be all full of piss an vinegar thinking here rant actual work when you show uo again she will be a bit beside her self, When she starts ranting slow walk toward her make sure to keep the hearing aid consield but not in an obvious way, Be sure to walk across the lawn with the dog when there is a pause in her screaching and you are close enough that she can misss the hear aid you can turn your ear head toward the women clear your hair away from hearing aid drawing more atttention to it and in syrupy sweet voice say can you speek up I don;t hear so well. When screaching only encourage you to drag the dog across the lawn that behavior will end quickly.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you can corral either neighbor (you might need a couple of strong hands depending on how resistant they are), hold them down on the ground by the scruff of their necks and tell them "No!" in a sharp, firm tone. I also recommend getting a shock collar. When they approach you be sure and give them a warning beep before you actually apply the juice. A lot of people say using shock collars on humans is cruel but I find it to be very effective in getting the behavioral response I approve of. The only downside is some stubborn people will require lots of batteries before they start to come around...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for the solidarity. We are going with the super-kindness route, of course. Even though, I will admit that it might not have been coincidental that my teenager (Blake, the girl, btw) chose to practice her flute loudly while sitting at the sidewalk at the end of my driveway last night @ 10:30pm. We are re-routing our walks, and when we can't we are proudly and rather red-neck-ish-ly walking her down the middle of the street between those two houses. :)
For the record several of my other neighbors were offended on our behalf when we told them what was going on. How strange to have someone say, "Heck she can do her business anytime in MY yard". LOL!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
When I first read the this thread I thought I would freak out lol and definitely want you to confront your neighbors. Then I calmed down and remember "It's easier to get flies with honey than with vinegar." Kill em with kindness :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ok I'm evil and I'm just going to say it. BURNING BAG OF POOP ON THE PORCH!!! It's an oldie but a goodie. They won't complain about the pee anymore......Plus you could potentially attribute it to a good old teenage prank.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
These people are obviously miserable in their life if a little basset hound can’t bring a smile to their face.

Part of me says I would keep walking the same walk you do and kill them with kindness. And the Italian in my says “bring it on” The other part says – do I want to have these wretched people take all the joy out of my special time I get walking my kids – nope – I would walk in another direction if you have one.

We live in a big subdivision and we have one man down one of the streets that makes it known he doesn’t want dogs on his lawn – so I have them on a shorter leash going by his house. We also have a few people that have signs on their lawn about not wanting dogs on their lawns – so again I go short leash.

Or, If you’re walking on the sidewalk – using a short leash – really what can they say? Keep walking – eventually they’ll get the hint that their not rattling your cage and they’ll go find someone to make as miserable as they are. Remember misery loves company – they are just looking for company.

Good luck and keep us posted…
Jen~

1 - 20 of 23 Posts