Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is going to sound completely terrible but here goes....

Ok so we named our pup Penni. The first few days after adopting her, her name was Gwen then we changed it to Penni. I didnt realize until now that our neighbors dog is named Penny. Would it be so bad to change her name back to Gwen now that she is 16 weeks old? We will call her Gwenni which rhymes with Penni. Would that be to confusing for her? I like the name Gwen better, I think it fits her personality better.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I really don't think it will be confusing for her at all. People often change the name of dogs that they rescue since they don't always know their names and often times those dogs are much older then your puppy.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah I say go for it. If it feels right do it. Sometimes the names we pick for them just don't fit them and you learn more so what fits them better as you go along.

·
Registered
878 Posts
We have rehomed quite a few Basset Hounds over the years and changed all of their names except one, as we weren't keen on them and it was no problem at all as I'm sure they soon get used to your tone of voice rather than the name, especially if it has the same number of syllables. My Bassets get called all sorts of nicknames and when I got them I was going to call my two sisters Daisy and Maisie but because they sounded so similar I changed them but I odten called them Daisy and Maisie as well as Lucie Locket, Dotty Lottie, my husband has 'Sunday' names for them and calls them Lucinda (Lucie) and Lotitia - like Letitia - (Lottie) I sometimes call them their kennel names of Isabella and Isadora and they are responsive to all of them, especially if it's dinner time or walkies.

I would say that if you aren't really keen on Gwen, then call her something you like and after a few weeks she won't even answer to Gwen if you call her it (that's been our experience anyway). One ex breeding bitch we rehomed was called Dawn but immediately I changed it to Agatha and Aggie for short and she was more like an Aggie than a Dawn as she was a bit saggy due to having had several litters!

What name would you like to call her? Don't worry if it's nothing like Gwen or doesn't sound like it as she'll soon get used to it!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Names, I'm not sure bassets care, we named ours before we even got them Mercedes and Zatarra. I call Mercedes by name all the time and she rarely looks up, as if she doesn't get it is her name. But if I call any of the following: Zatarra, Zee, Puppy, Babbies, or even Mercedes, Zatarra shows up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! I changed her name to Gwen. Gwenny for a nickname (or Gwenny-poo, LOL). I really like Gwen, it seems to fit her very well!!!! Aggie for a saggy basset woman sounds perfect, LOL. I just love dogs!!! All dogs, not just bassets.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree, all my pets have a formal name, used when going to the vet, then nicknames or call names. My orange cat Persimmon is Percy, Mazda is kitten-cat or KC, Mr. Peabody is Pea or hound, & Molly is the exception-Molly. None of them seem to care what they are called but know by my tone whether what I'm saying is important or not. My brother's newest hound, a rescue, was named Dudley-a good hound name but doesn't really fit him. Rick calls him Yodel, I call him Beans & my sister-in-law calls him "Shut up, shut up for the love of all that's holy-shut up"
Susan

·
Registered
47 Posts
We adopted a dog who the shelter named 'Corwin'...we hated that name and changed it to 'Gilby'...after a few weeks, he knew it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
All of our babies came from the shelter or a rescue - and most of them had really atrocious names, like 'Ouija' or 'Stumpy'. While I would agree that bassets could probably care less what name you call them by (as long as you don't call them late to dinner...), it just seemed cruel to leave their names as they were. The name change didn't seem to phase any of them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i got a dog from the spca a loooong time ago, and her name there was Suki. um..EW. we changed it to suzie and it was no problem. we call her susan if its important though lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did the same right now - we called our pup Xsunny - she had a mark on her back that looked like a little sun. Now she grew and got a long body and the mark looks like a sitting rabbit - so we call her Sunny Bunny. Sounds similar and works fine :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts