Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when i got my buddy Bazel he had very long nails witch tells me he saw a lot of back yard time. Now about 3 months latter and with me taking him with just about every were with me his nails are down quite a bit but they are still long enough thats he clicks as he crosses the hardwood here in the house. My question is should i take him in now to get them trimmed or should i wait a bit longer and let them wear down some more on our nightly walks now that the white stuff is gone? Next thing is he was never dew clawed as a pup and wile they don't seem to bother him i my self do not care for them, they all ways seem to try and hook the hammer loops on my carhart jeans when he is trying to jump up and greet me when i get home from work.can any thing be done about them???

·
Registered
9 Posts
My question is should i take him in now to get them trimmed or should i wait a bit longer and let them wear down some more on our nightly walks now that the white stuff is gone? Next thing is he was never dew clawed as a pup and wile they don't seem to bother him i my self do not care for them, they all ways seem to try and hook the hammer loops on my carhart jeans when he is trying to jump up and greet me when i get home from work.can any thing be done about them???[/b]
Hi, I get my Basset's nails trimmed about every 3-4 weeks. If the nail is way longer than where that pink vein is (wick), then it's time to get them trimmed. My dog has the dewclaws too and I don't mind them. I just don't let my dog jump up on me ;) Bassets are famous for liking to jump up cause they are so close to the ground. When I come in the house and he comes to greet me, I bend down and pay attention to him. If he jumps on me I give him a light kick to the chest with my knee and say "down." Be consistent with him on this and he should stop, you just have to kneel down to his level instead. You can get them removed, but it can be painful for him as an adult. Since they arn't hurting him, I wouldn't put him through the process of getting them removed. Have a great day!

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Next thing is he was never dew clawed as a pup and wile they don't seem to bother him i my self do not care for them, they all ways seem to try and hook the hammer loops on my carhart jeans when he is trying to jump up and greet me when i get home from work.can any thing be done about them???[/b]
It is not very comon to remove dew claws on hunting dogs. The claws do service a purpose when running and jumping they do contact the ground. As far as the claws hooking on the carhart jeans the simpler solution is to train the dog not to jump up in the first place. Quick Fix for a Jumping Dog

Most vets will not remove dew claws from an adult dog unless there is a compeling medical reason to do so. These are now fully functioning joints with nerve ending. Removing them now would be like chopping of a finger. Any time there is an amputation there is a posiblity of phantom linb pain,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
were working on the jumping problem. getting to mind the commands down and off are proving difficult to say the least. he has a very Strong attraction to the couches and my bed! i will make him stay off both when were together but soon as i leave the living room thats the first place he heads. often when i wake in the morning i find him snuggled up to me. needless to say i wash the bedding quite of fen.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
were working on the jumping problem. getting to mind the commands down and off are proving difficult to say the least. he has a very Strong attraction to the couches and my bed! i will make him stay off both when were together but soon as i leave the living room thats the first place he heads. often when i wake in the morning i find him snuggled up to me. needless to say i wash the bedding quite of fen.[/b]

Whether the dog is allow or not allowed on the bed of furniture is not what I was talking about but the jumping up ecited that is causing the dew claw hooking the jeans in the first place. Rather than eliminate the claws eliminate the ecited jumping up. One of the easiest way to do this is wait for the dog to calm down and can keep all four feet on the ground before interacting with him when you come home. Over time the excited jumping becomes less and less because it does not get him what he seeks which is your attention. Sitting or standing calmly does. Jump excitedly is a normal puppy behavior but it perpetuates becuase we as humans most of the time without thinking reward the behavior by petting and interacting with the dog when they do this because it makes us feel good to be warmly and enthusiasticly greeted at the door, but their is a price to pay.

FWIW using both down and off to mean the same thing can be confusing to the dog. While what you call a behavior really does not matter if you use it consistently but generally most people use down as in the obedience command meaning elbow, rear feet and belly on the ground, and off as to ger off the furniture, off the bed, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts