Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it was in another thread I asked sort of how to do the nails. Now I am really wanting some more advice.

Vet told hubby to just have me file flash's nails, he is young enough that they should be soft enough to do that. Yeah...doesn't work so well. Takes forever to make a dent in them (I am probably doing it wrong, so that doesn't help either!)

So, What do you all personally prefer for nails-dremel type pet filing system (not the actual dremel, I would end up hurting myself or the dog!), those guillotine type cutters, files, taking them to a vet/groomer to get them cut?

I am looking at something along the lines of a pedipaw they used to advertise on tv. But I don't want to blow 20 bucks and have it not work. But those little talons of his are sharp enough to make me bleed! I need to get something to work on them! I am lucky-his nails are clear, so I should have no problem avoiding the quick. I would prefer to be able to do them myself, but there is a grooming place just outside of town I could take him to (not sure of the cost though).

Anyway, just looking to see what everyone else prefers. Thanks in advance for any help folks!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Good question...I am having an issue too. Molly is so sensitive with her paws. With her not feeling well lately, I don't dare touch them. Though the vet did them when she was getting x rays last week (before we knew about the Addison's)...said she took advantage of Molly being held still for "pictures" and clipped them.

I have a Pedipaws ($10 at Target). Molly and Winston are intrigued, but won't let me near their feet with it. I may just end up going to Petsmart and paying a pro to do it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My grandparents had a pedipaws and they hated it. I think it takes batteries, and the batteries went dead too quickly. They bought one off of an info-mercial. It's called Peticure. It's rechargable. Anyway they loved theirs and we found one on clearance for 4 bucks. Can't beat that.
Peticure Petite - As Seen on TV at PETCO

That's the one we have. The petite. yeah, I know. A basset is not exactly, 'petite'. But, we used one like that on our lab and it worked just fine. We can always move up a size if she gets to big for it.(our lab never did get too big for it.) Gracie's nails were really long. So we clipped them first. Then we used the peticure to round them out.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Princess Buttercup is a pretty good girl despite the occasional arm/paw wrestling match. I have a 7.2 volt rechargeable dremel & find it waaaaay easier than the guillotine type cutter I started with. But this 40lb dainty little thing has nails the size of a #2 pencil!! I use it on low & never gets too hot. It is a little messy but nothing that a clorox wipe can't handle. Oh & it does do a number on a shellac manicure if you slip & dremel your own nail though. I keep thinking I need to wear a thimble! ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I bought the Pedipaw when it first came out at CVS......for like $20 I think, ummmm yeah no way was that going to take care of Mr Macaroni toes, maybe a chiuaua :) besides the noise he would not have tolerated, he didn't even like a hairdryer. I would use "heavy duty" clippers (stronger than the guillotine ones and open ended like pliers with a spring) in a pinch between vet visits where I preferred to get them done. B wasn't real good at holding still with just me attacking him, yup he could play me hehe. Ms Annie is nearing her first manicure, but she is such a good girl and doesn't seem squeemish about holding her feet, hopefully I can get them. She does have a couple of those dreaded black toenails that will freak me out though.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I bought the darn Pedipaw myself for a chihauha...ahh gettting them to hold still for time it took was insane..plus it would over heat the nail if left on too long to file it down.....I use the scissors like trimmer for him...when woody was a tiny puppy, he would sleep through his nail trimmings...

Now, it is just as easy for me to take him to Petco (he loves the outing) and sets like a prince for them to trim his nails (plus the spa works for him, and he smells like fruit).....it's not to outrages and his nails are trimmed very nicely...fortunately for me Woody has mostly white toenails. He has one black and one 1/2 white and black...so seeing the cuticle isn't too difficult.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
dremel type pet filing system (not the actual dremel, I would end up hurting myself or the dog!),
Nothing wrong with a dremel the cheaper pet version like pedipaws willl not make a dent on adult basset nails It is best to intruduce any eletric tool early as part of socializiation if done later you can end up with a dog very fearful of the tool so densetation is a lot easier.

I have never found a guilitine type trimmer capable of cutting adult basset nails, you need a trimmer made for large mails like Miller forges orange handled large dog trimmer. One thing is they are not very consistent in quality. I never buy on line only in stores cheching out the action on each pair many have burrs that make them rough when snipping I ussual buy the two best pairs, a test each on a nail or two, One is ussakky vastly superior to the other requiring less force and a leaving a smoother cut I keep those and put the other away for just emergency. They generally need to be replaced every 6 mnths to a year.

How I Dremel Dog Nails

Nail Trimming for Sensitve Dogs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts