Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone elses bassets have had some sort of nail growth. On the first "toe" on both of Bogie's front paws there seems to be this black very hard thing growing over his nail (he has white nails). I first spotted it a week or two ago, but it was only on one nail then and looked more like caked on dirt than anything else, so I washed it a lot and used a nail file to scrap some of it off. He's been licking it a lot. I am going to take him to the vet this week to get it checked out, but we are in the middle of an ice storm right now or else I would be taking him over today. It doesn't seem to hurt him or anything, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
When we got Murray, he had something that sounds like what you are describing. The vet said it was related to his yeast problems. When we got that under control with diet change, and adding yogurt to his food daily, the nail stuff gradually disappeared. I would still have your vet check it out, because it might be something totally different. As far as the licking, I would try to distract him when he starts- Let us know what the vet says!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I took him to the vet this morning. He took a chunk of it off his nail and looked at it under the microscope. He said it had some yeast/fungus in it, but wasnt an infection [yet] just a slightly inflamed area. He gave me something to soak his paws in (like thats really gonna happen...) and some cream to rub into the area. He said in about a week it should stop growing that way and in a month what is already there should grow out. And everything else about him looked good!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts