Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girls are 10 months old and they HATE to have their nails cut. To the point where they act like they are going to be murdered by the nail clippers! We have played with their paws since we got them to keep them used to people touching their feet, but that didn't seem to do the trick. We brought them to a groomers and it took 3 of us to keep each of them from strangling themselves. It was awful to see them so upset. The vet had a hard time too. She got a few nails on Betty by giving her treats, but Wilma wouldn't have any of it. She mentioned we may need to give them mild tranquilizers to get their nails cut. Has anyone had to do that before? I don't like the idea of giving them tranquilizers, but I also hate seeing them so distraught. Because of all the problems cutting their nails, we have put off taking them again for almost 2 months. They get walked everyday on asphalt, but i am concerned about the quick growing too much. Has anyone has any experience with this? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
You might try taking them to another (experienced) groomer's (one with more than one groomer) and then leaving the building. Often they are better when the owner is not around. Also, sometimes one groomer may be able to handle a dog which another groomer cannot. I'm often able to groom dogs which have been banned from other grooming shops, but then sometimes I can't do a dog which other groomers think is fine.....just personality conflict between groomer and dog.

Groomers have far more experience doing nails than vets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice! I didn't even think about how it might be upsetting them with me there. I'll try a different groomer and wait outside to see if they have better luck.

You might try taking them to another (experienced) groomer's (one with more than one groomer) and then leaving the building. Often they are better when the owner is not around. Also, sometimes one groomer may be able to handle a dog which another groomer cannot. I'm often able to groom dogs which have been banned from other grooming shops, but then sometimes I can't do a dog which other groomers think is fine.....just personality conflict between groomer and dog.

Groomers have far more experience doing nails than vets.[/b]

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Just as an example, my friend's basset used to be so bad it took 3 people at the vet's to do her nails. But the first time I did her at the shop as part of a groom (with mom gone), she was just fine. When I started doing her at her home she was bratty, even with mom and dad out of the room, screaming and jumping around on the table but I just ignored her and kept cutting the nails. Eventually she learned to settle down and now she'll lie quietly on the couch while I clip away.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I agree that most dogs I know are better when Mom & Dad are not around. When I use to take Maggie Mae (ATB) to get her nails clipped the groomer always asked that I wait in the other room. She couldn't see or hear me and she was much better for him than me. I also agree that groomer's have far more experience with nail clipping than Vets.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well that sounds like quite the struggle!

I honestly can't say, i have been clipping Daisy's nails weekly from the time i got her... that way i only have to trim a little bit each time and don't have the worry of cutting them too short. In the beginning it was tough to get them done but she got used to it pretty quickly. Now, she usually just sleeps while i do them.

The only thing i can offer is that if you're persistant, they may eventually become more relaxed at the idea of having you cut them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nugget absolutely hated having her nails clipped also. Our vet gave me a tranquilizer to give to her...she was stoned out of her mind..she was so pitiful...I believe I could have pulled her teeth out but she STILL managed to emerge from her drugged haze and struggle to not let me cut her toenails. I won't do that again.

I finally found a groomer, whom I've used twice that cuts them while I'm not in the room. The first time she had someone help hold Nugget. The next time, she didn't even require a helper. So I think finding just the right groomer is the trick.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nugget absolutely hated having her nails clipped also. Our vet gave me a tranquilizer to give to her...she was stoned out of her mind..she was so pitiful...I believe I could have pulled her teeth out but she STILL managed to emerge from her drugged haze and struggle to not let me cut her toenails. I won't do that again.

I finally found a groomer, whom I've used twice that cuts them while I'm not in the room. The first time she had someone help hold Nugget. The next time, she didn't even require a helper. So I think finding just the right groomer is the trick.[/b]
Yes Nugget's mama!!
I really had a problem with Bianca. Once I found the right groomer, she's doing fine. The groomer used a Dremel, by the way, because Bianca's nails are black and the quick is "overgrown" and hard to see.
I was so overjoyed to find such a caring groomer you can't imagine!! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts