Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last tuesday the vet came over for the yearly shots of our three hounds.
We also asked her to bring her 'gear' over to clip the nails.

Well, Bianca, againts all odds, was a real example. She let her nails be cut just at the right length.
While Lola's nails are a bit long, and she won't have us, nor the vet, touch them, the vet decided that the lenght didn't justify 'knocking her out' to clip them. Her advice was to make sure they got worn by making a bit more walks on concrete instead of grass. Now, Lola and walking.... that makes 2, but we'll try.

Maurice is another story. Or previous vet got him so traumatised about nail clipping that we only have to touch his nails for him to become agressive. And they are really way too long. So... Calling the vet today for an appointment next week. He'll be 'knocked out' just enough to get his pedicure.
I feel bad for him cause I know he'll wake up with one hell of a headache, and he hates car rides (even if it's only a 10 minutes drive).

Patrick

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Patrick,

Sounds like you've got your hands full, with three bassets. Holy cow. My buddy, Jasper, hates to have his nails clipped too. I have to put a muzzle on him and even then, can only clip a few at a time. There is an herbalist down the road who advertises a 'special' dog biscuit that relaxes dogs for nail clipping or vet visits, claims it's all natural and has not bad side effects. Will update, once having tried them with Jasper. Good luck with getting those nails reduced.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i think someone should invent a swing - i really think this would work. it'd be like a horizontally oriented hammock, in which the basset is suspended, with his/her legs (however short) hanging down. then the bassets couldn't use the wiggle technique or the torque of their tremendous torsos to shake off their would-be trail-trimmer/grinder.

the only success i've ever had with my male is with a breeding table, and two people. and no clippers. just the dremel. and the key for me (and my friend) is not to try to restrain Boo, or control him, or hold him steady, but simply to massage his ears, almost feverishly - he seems to really enjoy it so much that he's able to tolerate his nails being treated. haven't figured out a way to do this on my own though - which of course would be ideal.

and to make matters seem worse, by way of contrast, my female couldn't be easier to trim. she just sits there staring into my eyes as i do it, :rolleyes: - hoping that there's something in it for her but if there's not it's still okay. but of course, there always is - she gets plenty of biscuits after a trimming, and call me crazy, but i think she gets excited and runs extra fast afterwards like she's testing out her new wheels. :rolleyes:

if only my male could learn to appreciate that he'd be much more comfortable if he'd let his nails be trimmed more often. his posture and movement is just smoother when he doesn't have his nails pushing up on his paws.

not sure what your experience will be, but in mine, the "walk on pavement" theory that vets always prescribe doesn't really work too well on a Basset - maybe on a terrier who's nails are smaller and less dense, this is sufficient, but it's never been for my bassets.

does anyone know? does such a "swing" exist? like i said, it'd be like if the basset lay horizontally across a hammock, such that his legs were dangling - or there could be holes for his legs like a baby swing - the weight of his own body i would think would make it difficult for him to resist the nail trimming - not sure - i'd need to experiment.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The swing idea sounds interesting!

With Daisy, I have always been able to cut her nails without too much of a hassle. In the beginning she would fight it a bit but then usually just fall asleep half way through.

Lily on the other hand - (she is now about 13 weeks) honest to god the neighbors must think she's being beaten when I’m trimming her nails. After I get about the first paw done she'll start to howl and cry each time I bring the clippers near her feet. It's a very stressful process! She is so loud and dramatic about it that Daisy gets worried and whimpers.

I am hoping that with persistence (I try to trim their nails once a week) Lily will get used to it and relax a bit. Otherwise I’ll have to fight her through it every time which is no fun for either party!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The swing idea sounds interesting!

With Daisy, I have always been able to cut her nails without too much of a hassle. In the beginning she would fight it a bit but then usually just fall asleep half way through.

Lily on the other hand - (she is now about 13 weeks) honest to god the neighbors must think she's being beaten when I’m trimming her nails. After I get about the first paw done she'll start to howl and cry each time I bring the clippers near her feet. It's a very stressful process! She is so loud and dramatic about it that Daisy gets worried and whimpers.

I am hoping that with persistence (I try to trim their nails once a week) Lily will get used to it and relax a bit. Otherwise I’ll have to fight her through it every time which is no fun for either party![/b]
I'm not even attempting it myself anymore with Maurice. It always ends in such a drama.... You know, people would start thinking that' we're killing a pig or something.

So knocked out he'll be. That will also give the vet a chance to have a good look at this growht he has in his neck (ok, now I'm starting to worry bout that.... He's 5 after all, so things are bound to start growing where there're not supposed to :/)

P.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Those that are having problems cutting their dogs nails, have you tried any techniques like this:

Smear some Peanut Butter on a paper plate in different small spots (not all lumped together). Get down on the floor with your dog and start petting him/her, ease them on their back and run the belly. Place the paper plate near their head and slowly start cutting the nails while they lick the Peanut Butter. Also, they are a little distracted and do not see the clippers.

Another good place to place the Peanut Butter is in one of those Kong toys. Get a spoon and place some Peanut Butter inside the opening. It's harder for them to get the Peanut Butter out than on the paper plate --- which keeps them occupied a little longer.

Also for the future (when you have young pups), when playing with them and rubbing their bellies, play with their toenails, tug on them, spread their toes apart..........it helps them get use to the feeling of someone messing with their feet and toenails.

Doesn't work with all dogs. Some dogs are just going to have some issues. I have 6 dogs and only 1 has issues cutting his nails. He's a 100lb Lab that you basically have to straddle him to cut his nails so he will not move............now the other 5, I put them on their backs and clip away with no issues.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My dad usually cuts my dogs nails. Last time he did it Lily wouln't stay even remotely still and he ended up cutting her so she snapped at him. He then decided that he wouldn't/couldn't do it anymore. I kept saying that I would do it, but it's been a while. Today I went to PetSmart got clippers, a Kong, that gooey stuff you put inside, etc. Once Lily saw the clippers she wouldn't have anyting to do with the Kong (which cost me $18, plus the $7 whatever for the gooey stuff, and the cost of the clippers), I talked very soothingly to her etc, I began on the back (just barely cut them, since I"ve never done it), got ready to start on the front when she tore her paw out of my hand and began trembling (I hadn't even cut the front ones yet). That's when I decided that I just couldn't do it myself, I was too scared, she was too scared etc. I took both dogs to PetSmart where the lady had them both done in 5-10 minutes (Lily wasn't super for her either and the lady cut her last nail due to Lily not staying still, but the lady used some medicated wipe thing to stop the bleeding and pain). The best $16 I've ever spent. Luckily (for those of you who don't know) PetSmart has a 100% return policy so I was able to take all that stuff I couldn't use back. I will never try to do it again, in the future I'll just load the gang up in the car and head to PetSmart.

~Heather

·
Registered
662 Posts
... in the future I'll just load the gang up in the car and head to PetSmart.

~Heather[/b]
*heh* Maybe I should try that route and see if they have any better luck than either I or my vet have with my houndies. *lol*

I started cutting their nails young and at first they were fine... but nother very quickly (as they started growing) being less and less content with the whole proceedure. And now that they together out-weigh me it's become an ordeal.

When I was with my ex at least I had someone to help me hold them down and still while I snipped ... but for the last year and an bit it's just been me and there's no way I could do it on my own so I started taking them to the vet - and they're just rough! The hounds both hate it and struggle and cry and basically it's very trying. -- Last time it took the vet, two helpers and me just to hold one hound down long enough for one paw to be finished!

When we walk tyhe dogs (on a daily basis) it's on black-top and concrete and it doesn't really help with keeping their nails short (even though my parents dog, a chow shep cross seems to have no issues) must be the type of nails ...

Anyhow it's gotten to the point where taking the hounds in to the vets has gotten too expensive (they charge me a lot now because of the hounds' behaviour).

Maybe Petsmart will have better luck - we actually have one in town here now. *heh*

·
Registered
85 Posts
I cut Maggie's front nails last night. Unfortunately I cut one of them too low and it bled - I tried to do a run to the store for styptic powder but they were all closed - the bleeding stopped, but I felt so bad. Funny though, Maggie didn't complain. I didn't even notice it was bleeding until I finished the other nails. Then she got her dinner and didn't seem to mind it.

Poor Maggie has had a tough week!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts