Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was traumatized when I cut too far up on Charger's nail and made it bleed. How much does it cost to get this task done by the groomer? For those that do this, how often do you cut them?

Thanks.

Kay Lynn

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi all,

I was traumatized when I cut too far up on Charger's nail and made it bleed. How much does it cost to get this task done by the groomer? For those that do this, how often do you cut them?

Thanks.

Kay Lynn[/b]

I go to my vets office to have it done if she is being difficult and it takes 4 people to calm her down its 25 dollars if she cooperates it is 15 dollars I do it once a month to every month and a half. So its a little expensive but I can relate to the horror.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We've had good luck at Petsmart- They charge about $10- and Jake who is horrid is just the sweetest baby for them- The vet charges about $10 also- so if we go in for something we let them clip them while we are there. If we try it at home it takes three people and 1 bag of treats per dog- :blink:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wally and Sissy have a monthly appt. for their bath and nails. I am very fortunate to have a wonderful groomer (Bonnie) who works for my vet, Dr. Cheryl Ernest. The total cost which includes, their bath, nails, checking their anal glands plus extra care and cleaning of their ears is $44.30 - $22.00 each plus tax. I know some would frown on montly baths but they have never had problems with their skin. They love Bonnie and she is AWESOME with them.
Cindy - servant to Wally & Sissy

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Depends on where you live, but I think most groomers will charge around $10.

I recommend a groomer because they cut a LOT more nails than vets do.

Even so, occasionally a nail will get cut too short and bleed. This is NOT a big deal.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I lucked into finding a woman who does my animals for $5 apiece. She's very good with the animals, so I tip her well. I can't afford to let her go out of business.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
We went to the vet just yesterday to have Moe's nails cut. It was fifteen dollars for the clipping (but we bought Frontline, shampoo and earcleaner so the bill was MUCH more than fifteen ;) )

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We went to the vet just yesterday to have Moe's nails cut. It was fifteen dollars for the clipping (but we bought Frontline, shampoo and earcleaner so the bill was MUCH more than fifteen ;) )[/b]
Terry, what ear cleaner does your vet recommend? We're using epi-otic, but Charger hates getting his ears cleaned. I think it's the coldness of it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I got a great ear cleaner from the Vet for Rusty & Stickers. They both were having problems with others I tried. It is only available through Veternarians office. It by Animal Pharmaceuticals and it's Cucumber Melon ear cleaner. Smells great, the dogs don't mind at all and they've been doing great with it!

For shampoo, I use "Really Good Doggie Aloe Shampoo" by Key West Aloe. It's available on their website. The Basset on the front of the bottle is from their breeder :D :D

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Terry, what ear cleaner does your vet recommend? We're using epi-otic, but Charger hates getting his ears cleaned. I think it's the coldness of it.[/b]
We use Pfizer's "Oti-clens". Moe's ears tend to get yeast infections and regular use of Oti-clens seems to keep the yeast in check. He hasn't had an ear infection for quite a while now (One infection seemed to take forever to clear up <_< ). I usually clean his ears before his weekly bath. The cleaner has a 'medicine smell' that I don't care for and bathing him after cleaning his ears minimizes it. :) Moe likes his ears cleaned when there is no infection (he makes his happy moaning sounds) but he hates it when his ears are irritated (it probably hurts).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ernest goes once every 10 days to the groomers to get his nails dremelled. 10 dollars including a ear clean, smooches from the groomer and cookies.

It would take us 45 minutes and we were all miserable at the end.

lala and ernest

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everyone's responses. We went to Petco and it was $10 for nail trim and ear cleaning. Well worth it to squeamish me!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts