Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Sami to the vet a couple of weeks ago for a follow up on her tummy problem. She also had a lump on her mid upper back I had the vet look at- The vet assured me it was not a lymph node because of it's location but wanted me to watch it a couple of weeks. We've been on vacation for a week and I was hoping it would be gone by now- But I can still feel it and will set up an appointment for Wednesday. It's about 1 cm in diameter and soft- feels a bit like a cyst- It's hard to feel as it gets lost in her fat rolls sometimes. However this morning as I was petting her I noticed fur standing up on her head- I thought it was food but after looking closer it appears to be a skin tag of sorts... she looks a bit like a unicorn-

I'm not sure if this will show but it looks like a little white rice stuck in her scalp- It seems to bother her if we rub or pull at it so I guess the vet will have to figure it out... but if you could spare drool I'm one worried mom- Wendy

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've owned 4 female Bassets and all of them had/have skin growths (warts, cysts, fatty tumors, etc.) as they age. Of course the vet should look at them, but never have the ones on my girls been serious. Take care, Belinda.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I agree with Belinda.

Lady has a big old honker of a cyst right now on her ribcase. She's had it six months? or more. It scared me to death when it first appeared, but it's just one of those fatty things.

And Yogi's always gotten those little lumps. He had one in between his shoulderblades that had been there since I got him. The only thing troublesome about it is it decided to pop a year or so ago. :shock: Eewww. That was disgusting. And as soon as it popped, another appeared. :roll:

I imagine the same is true for your little bundle of sweetness and light. :) Still, it's wise to get the all clear from the vet.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Sally has a couple of skin tags, and Daisy has many epidermal inclusion cysts. I have had them all checked out and none have been serious. I'm sure it will be the same for your baby, but it's worth it to get it checked for the peace of mind. :)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We just got back from the vet with Sami. She should be fine. The lump on her side is “diffuse” meaning they could not do a needle biopsy. The vet said it appears to be a lipoma- which is a fatty tumor- common to many dogs as they get older. It’s usually benign though it can get larger. So we will continue to watch it for now. They could remove it but he did not recommend it at this time as the risk from the anesthesia was greater than the risk of just leaving it alone. I will still worry I know- but both vets at this office have seen her and said the same thing and they know better than I!

This is the real embarrasing part...

The skin tag looking thing turned out to be a tick!!! We had thought it was at first but then it wouldn't come off - I then gave her a bath thinking maybe it was stuck on food. She acted like it hurt her- so we left it alone. Today the vet just pulled it right off !

So we are doing ok for now… but I’m beginning to feel like I live at the vets… and all their shots and check ups are due this summer!

Next on the to do list- Treat the yard and clean the house!!!

Wendy- Mom to Samantha, Jake, Abigail, & Indiana...

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Oooh the ticks. They're bad this year. I should have thought of that when you posted because I've found two ticks on Yogi this year that I thought were skin tags. Gah. One reason I'm switching back to K9 Advantix --- when I was using it, I never found ticks on these guys. Frontline just isn't as effective.

Lady's lipoma is huge and has never bothered her, if that's any consolation. It's probably 2-3" in diameter, but we've had no problems at all with it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Francis's nickname could be Lumpy Rutherford. That dog has more lumps and bumps and I used to run screaming to the vet everytime a new one developed. Nope, same old thing.
He's due for his "tune-up" pretty soon and I want to talk to the vet about taking a big one off his back. Francis wears a harness and it rubs on the lump so I think we'd better have it removed before we develop anything.

B

·
0 Posts
My Sami is worrying me

Wendy sorry to hear about Sami. Tummy had a skin tag removed from just under his eye. Sending lots of drool for the lump to be no problem. Tummy Boy's Mom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts