Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound stupid, but was wondering if you all noticed this. Lucy is 6 months old now and her nice soft "straight" fur is starting to get wavy on her back. I have never been around an adult basset and was wondering if their fur gets wavy and /or course with age.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have noticed this on Shyla right between her shoulder blades. The hair there is really course.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
You know, that is weird. Spencer's fur has changed more than once. When he was a puppy, he had that nice soft fur. Then as he got a little older, he got a spot down the middle of his back that was kinda coarse & wavy. That changed again & now his fur is straight & soft. Sadie's fur has not changed much at all through the years.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Belvedere has wavy hair on his back near his hind legs. I thought it was probably from rolls of fat and skin. It makes it look wavy.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be something to do with the season? Jake's fur gets thick and wavy on his back and hind quarters in Winter. In Spring he sheds this and fine, straight fur grows in its place.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There are a few factors that probably influence this. One is genetics. If the parents had more of a thick wavier coat then it is likely to develop with your pup. Second is also development in the adult coat which will be somewhat coarser and sometimes longer/wavier. Also the time of year can influence the thickness of a coat and whether or not your dog is outside or inside alot.

CTG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts