Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just got our basset puppy Emmy a few weeks ago. She is 14 weeks old. Twice this has happened. I took her from her crate the other morning like usual and as I carried her down the stairs to the yard to pee, she peed all over me. This she has never done before, then I put her down on the ground and she just collapsed and lay there like she was dead. I got her up and she looked around then ran up the stairs to eat like nothing ever happened. She has been fine for 3 days, now today...I took her from her crate after a short stay in it, put her down on the kitchen floor and she collapsed again. This time while she was down she peed, just laying there lifeless and peeing. Then got up and continued her day again running around with my other dog Milo like a lunatic the whole day.

I don't know if it is some kind of seizure?? She doesn't shake at all just lays there still and lifeless for a few seconds while peeing. I don't know if anyone else has ever had this happen or what is going on with her? :(

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Someone probally has an idea, but my rule of thumb is...if in doubt just call the vets office. They will tell you if she should be brought in. Or if you just suspect a problem make an appt.
I sure hope she's O.K.
We'll cross our paws!
Joan

·
Registered
4,902 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I agree- Have her checked out- and let us know what the vet says- Keeping Emmy in our prayers- Wendy

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Emmy has a vet appt. today at 4 pm. I'll let you know how we make out. Thanks Betsy for the info it was scary but very informative. When I called the vet they said maybe low blood sugar? I feed her twice a day but maybe I should feed her 3x since she's still so small? Hopefully they can tell me what is wrong with her today.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the vet says her heart and blood work checked out just fine. He can't find anything wrong with her. She hasn't had another episode in a few days, so I just have to monitor her and see. The vet said maybe it is just a puppy phase and not to worry so much.

Thanks to all who wrote! Hopefully she'll be just fine. :)

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Thanks for the follow up. The article mentioned, at the end, that no cause is found in many cases.

Regarding feeding schedules, puppies should get 3 meals a day until they're 6 months old, and then they can go to 2 meals a day. I continue to feed my dogs 2 meals a day as adults.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts