Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am new here. I just got a new puppy basset hound. Her name is chloe and she is 10 weeks old. A month and a half ago, my 9 1/2 year old basset passed away and I was and still am devastated. Back in january, she was diagnosed with complete heart block. I went forward and got her a pacemaker which turned her into the miracle dog. She was like a puppy again. But a month and a half ago, suddenly one night she started having breathing problems. It continued through the night and she also started coughing. I brought her into the cardiologist in the morning and he gave her an injection of fuermoside and put in her an oxygen cage. He called me an hour later and told me things were getting worse; she was coughing up blood. He didnt want to take her out of the oxygen cage and do a bunch of tests because she was having such a hard time breathing. She was suffering so I made the heart wrenching decision to put her down. We never found out what went wrong-- and why things happened so quickly. The cardiologist thinks she may have had a blood clot in her lung. It was just horrible and I had expected her to be around at least another 3 years with the pacemaker. The pacemaker was working fine, just something else went wrong with her unfortunately. sorry to ramble. Anyway, I am posting a pic of my new basset chloe.

Attachments

·
Registered
697 Posts
She is just so cute!!! I am so sorry you recently lost your old basset but you did what was right and i am sure she will be up there in basset heaven keeping an eye on you and Chloe and probably teaching her a trick or two.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! I can't even imagine how devastated you were; I cry just thinking about it.

As for Chloe! LOOK AT THOSE EARS! They are twice what Millie's were as a puppy! She is so adorable! Enjoy it! I use to say that I couldn't wait for Millie to no longer be a puppy, but now I miss those days... Hrm... Wanna switch? LOL! Joking!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Such a sad story about the friend you lost. I had a Cockapoo named Zoey who had been suffering from hip displaysia. With a good regimen of meds, she was back to running, jumping, and playing. I knew in my mind that one day I'd have to make the decision to put her down due to displaysia, but it was long in the future. Suddenly one night I woke up to her struggling to get up. Thinking it was her displaysia flaring up, I tried to help her to a comfortable place to stand and get her bearings. Turned out she was having a stroke. She died on the way to the vet a few minutes later. It just goes to show that the unexpected can happen and we should cherish what we have while we have it.

I am so glad you have your new friend to make memories with. She's a beautiful girl and is what we call a "healing puppy." Enjoy her. And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
767 Posts
So very sorry for your loss. I dread the day when we will have to make that decision again. My wife had a 14 year old poodle named Sandra that we had to put down about 18 months ago. Losing Sandra did open up the way to start fostering Bassets and that led to us keeping Daisy who was hard to place since she had medical problems. The new girl sure is cute and will be spoiled rotten soon as should all Bassets. Again welcome and more pictures. Also you didn't mention the other girls name but when you feel up to it we would like to see pictures of her too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone. My basset that passed away, her name was macy. Here is a pic of her right after she got her pacemaker -- back in february of this year

Attachments

·
Registered
767 Posts
What a cutie she was.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Macy was very beautiful I know how hard it is to lose a dog. Your new puppy is so adorable she will help heal your heart.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a quick question about chloe. i posted her pic in my first post. I bought her just 5 days ago at 10 weeks. I did get AKC paperwork for her. Sometimes, I think her legs look a little long. I haven't had a basset puppy in so long, I forgot how short the legs are supposed to be. I know looking at her extra long ears, she is obviously basset. I will post a pic of one of her legs, does it look long to you or is it just me? Macy had extra short legs, so I am just not sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
697 Posts
Henry is a taller basset, we dont care because we wont ever show him but he is a pure breed. Both of his parents are working dogs and his breeders like them taller. [plus it makes counter surfing so much easier!]

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hard to tell from that picture, puppies grow in all different spurts at 10 months I still have no idea how he will look as an adult as he seems to change weekly.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I have a quick question about chloe. i posted her pic in my first post. I bought her just 5 days ago at 10 weeks. I did get AKC paperwork for her. Sometimes, I think her legs look a little long. I haven't had a basset puppy in so long, I forgot how short the legs are supposed to be. I know looking at her extra long ears, she is obviously basset. I will post a pic of one of her legs, does it look long to you or is it just me? Macy had extra short legs, so I am just not sure.
Doesn't look strange to me, but can't really tell from this perspective...
can ya get a pic of her standing on all four's???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I posted 2 more pics. sorry if they are not the best pics. I take them with my phone. I know she is only 10 weeks so I dont know if they end up looking shorter as they grow or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think it was the angle with the first picture! :-D

I compared those pictures with that of Millie at the same age, and they look the same. Her legs may have grown, and the rest of her body may need to catch up! But to me, they look normal!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts