Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been blesses by adopting an 8 month old baby boy by the name of "Flash". He is a sweet and loving boy that we absolutely adore! Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for first time basset owners? Thanks a million in advance!

A

·
0 Posts
Keep reading! Get yourself a couple of good books on bassets, join an obedience group, take your little dog out to parks, parties, play groups and get ready to exercise that little guy.
Patience is always the key for basset owners and you will need plenty, they're awfully stubborn.
Enjoy, they're wonderful dogs!

A

·
0 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm jealous!! U will learn a lot on this board. Great bunch of people! :) ditto with what above poster wrote. Get some Books. Could even try library 1st to see if U like the books. Gibe big puppy a kiss from me. Happy to be a slave for Tummy Boy. Cool name (Flash) .

·
Registered
343 Posts
Welcome!
George was the same age when I got him and I was new to the breed too. Here are some things that come to mind:
I'd suspend any expectations you may have based on experience with 'normal' dogs!
This board is the best.
Since he's entering his adolescence, he's going to be a handful for a while (but not forever)!
An obedience class might be a good idea.
Long walks to tire him out will help too. As the saying goes - A tired dog is a good dog!

·
Registered
775 Posts
This is a wonderful site. I have learned more from the people on this site than any other source.Congradulations and enjoy!!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Read through old posts on topics that interest you- grooming, shedding, feeding, exercising, etc... We absolutely love our bassets- but having raised golden retrievers many years ago- bassets are definitely different. We will always have bassets now- but don't expect a lazy couch potato. Your pup will be running the basset 500, counter cruising, and stealing your heart very soon...

J

·
0 Posts
Congratulations on your new arrival! Jake was 10 months old when I adopted him...five years ago. We've had a lot of fun and I honestly can't imagine living with any other breed!

I agree wholeheartedly with what the other posters have said, especially Choni's "suspend any expectations based on experience with 'normal' dogs! :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
welcome...and congrats on your new pup..
i ditto all those who have posted. the board i sone of your most valualbe tools for information and information.
top suggestions:
obedience school
crate training
chew toys..i.e. natural bones not rawhide-you will need to find what your pup likes to keep him busy....you will need it on some days....
excercise/walks
establish a feeding schedule
google puppy training and you will get tons of information.
all that follows.....good luck :D

[ March 23, 2006, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: jmm ]

A

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the site and congratulations! This site has helped me tremendously. We love pictures! yvonne

·
Registered
813 Posts
First thing to know: You just gave up your couch. LOL It now belongs to Flash. Don't fight it. Just invest in lots of throws so you don't spend all your time vacuuming. Wash and wear throws.
Second: Push everything you don't want him to get WAAAAAAY back on the counters. You think he can't reach? He can. He will.
Related note: Do not turn your back on anything you're eating. He'll take it. And he won't be the least bit repentant.
Third: He has short hair but he will shed constantly, enough to make a new basset each and every week. Get rid of the carpet. LOL And buy a doggie brush. He'll really like getting brushed. It won't help the shedding, but he'll really like it.
Another related note: Anything he really likes is something you will be doing far more than you can believe. If it makes Flash happy, by golly, it makes YOU happy. Your life just got absorbed by him. But I promise, you won't mind a bit.

A

·
0 Posts
ditto here LOTS AND LOTS OF PICS. U will live thr puppyhood. Happy to be a slave for Tummy Boy ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all very much for all of the great replies! Everyone has been very helpful and it is greatly appreciated! :) , and a big kiss from Flash!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I love that name "Flash"!!!! :D :D
Say that out loud in a hot summar day, when he refuses to walk. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts