Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I've been reading the board for a while waiting for my account to get set up and I feel like I know some of you. We adopted our first basset from the SPCA last Thursday and I couldn't love him more if I had given birth to him myself. He's 8 mos. old and a very enjoyable handful. (I say that now, but I haven't been home for lunch to see what he's up to today.) I had to put down my beloved Ally (mutt I got in Guam) in December. She was with me for 16 years, 8 months and 4 days and that was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. But, now we have Nicky, short for Nickelodeon because he's so silly. He's wondeful with Cammie our dalmatian. He's even manged to get her to play, something she's never done with another dog in the 3 1/2 years I've had her.

I'm posting picutures and I'm open to any advice you have since he's my first. I won't be using any negative reinforcement with him as Vision has suggested too many times for my taste. I understand basset's can be very stubborn, I already have a dalmatian. You don't tell them what to do, you talk them into and hope they think it's their idea. I think we need to change his food since he's been home a little while. His feet smell like a bag of Fritos and his armpits aren't much better. Not complaining, we'll figure something out just like we bought special towels to wipe up drool. Anyway, take a look at my boy and see what you think. Of course I think he's the most handsome thing ever.

Nicky's mom

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I think I've seen some posts about the frito smelling feet being food related- possibly corn in the kibble? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong-

For any new members, a good thing to keep in mind is the search option- it's a good resource - you can use it to find old threads which discuss specific topics you're interested in-

Welcome to the forum! Nicky is gorgeous!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Welcome. :) I've not actually seen anyone on this forum, within recent memory, suggest using negative reinforcement to train. Most people can't define it, let alone apply it in practice.

Punishment, OTOH, can be effective, if well-timed. Simply telling a dog "no" counts as punishment, because the goal of punishment is to decrease the occurrence of unwanted behaviors.

A combination of rewards (positive reinforcement) and correction (punishment) lets a dog know most quickly and efficiently which behaviors are acceptable, and which aren't.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Welcome. :) I've not actually seen anyone on this forum, within recent memory, suggest using negative reinforcement to train. Most people can't define it, let alone apply it in practice.

Punishment, OTOH, can be effective, if well-timed. Simply telling a dog "no" counts as punishment, because the goal of punishment is to decrease the occurrence of unwanted behaviors.[/b]
FWIW I have in the past posted a link to an article by Gary Wilke that deal with negative reinformcement. Basical the way an adversive is often applied rather tham being punishiment it becomes a negative reinforcer
Jack Palance vs. Fred Astaire Punishment or Negative Reinforcement - Draw your own conclusions, Pardner

No. for most dogs by definition is not a punisher as it does not decrease the occurrence of unwanted behavior in the future. Iif you tell the dog No it can stop the current behavior, much like claping your hand, a shaker can filled with pennies,citronella collar,etc. But, it no effect on likely occurance of the behavior in the future. Just tell a dog no is not likely to effect future behavior. "No" for most dogs is more apaptly described as a "distruptive stimulus" it something that stops a behavior giving you the opportunity to train a more appropriate behavior. That is how it is most often used. No! stops the behavior, followed up with a reward for the proper behavior. A bit of hair splitting because what something is called is not as important as whether it works,

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Because "no" is used with the goal of decreasing unwanted behaviors, it is intended to function as punishment. As a conditioned punisher, efficacy depends, in part, on the strength of the association between primary and secondary punishers. I agree that "no" is not used effectively as punishment by many pet owners.

And of course, effective use of positive punishment is another subject. :blink:

From Dr. P's Dog Training Punishment: Problems and Principles for Effective Use
Some principles for the effective use of positive punishment include:

It must be prompt.
It should follow the occurrence of the undesired behavior immediately.
It must be consistent.
It should occur each and every time the undesired behavior occurs.
An alternative behavior should be made available which can be reinforced.
The purpose here is to overcome the problem of punishment not being as good of a source of information as is reinforcement.
At times a conditioned punisher should be used.
A conditioned punisher is a word (exs. "eheh", "no", or "wrong") and/or body posture (exs. a frown and/or stiffening of the body) that predicts that punishment will occur if the offending behavior continues. This eventually becomes an informational signal can reduce the need for actual punishment.[/b]
Also of interest is Dr. P's Confusing Consequences: A Brief Guide to Operant Conditioning, which defines and explains positive and negative reinforcement and positive and negative punishment.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Welcome! this is a wonderful site----and Nicky is beautiful.
The look in the second picture says "I will have you guys trained in no time"!
don

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello,

He is beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I don't care what anyone says, bassets are the most beautiful dogs in the world and Nickelodeon certainly contributes to this point.

jasperspet aka colleen

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the comments and advice. Shakerag is right, that's Nick's I'm really training you look and it's working. He's such a delight. Even when I should be angry with him, I just can't be. He makes me laugh so hard!!! Recently he's decided the shower is cool and wants to lick the tub, the curtain and mom while the water is running. His head get soaking wet and I have to dry him as well as myself when I get out.

Nicky's mom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts