Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little while ago we were all sitting in the living room when a bunny hopped up onto my deck. I have french doors leading out onto the deck, which were closed, and Lightning saw the bunny. He stood and stared as the bunny got within a couple of feet of the doors. I think I heard him growl once. Then the bunny glanced up, saw Lightning, and ran off the deck. Lightning stood there for a while, then he sauntered out the dog door. That bunny could have sat on my deck and drank an entire margarita before Lightning got out there. He looked around the back yard a little then came back in. He didn't bark once. Good thing he's so good looking, because he has no hunting instinct whatsoever. I do wish I'd had a camera and could have gotten a shot of Lightning and the bunny staring at each other through the door. Would have been priceless.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe is a great and mighty hunter, feared by his prey, who he eats when he finally catches them. He finds these critters tasty, lip-smacking good treats. What are they, you wonder? Rabbits, squirrels, or even mice, maybe? No! They are... house flies!! :p He smells them, he tracks them down and yes, he EATS them! :cool:

Our pet rabbits he liked. He had no idea he should want to chase them.:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Flash's only prey are mice. We live on the edge of town, so when the weather gets cold, in come the mice...

His record stands at 17 kills-- not eaten, but delivered to Dad in return for praise, oddly enough-- and until I saw him go after his first one, I had NO idea that those stubby little legs could propel that body so FAST!

As far as things he probably should chase, like rabbits and squirrels, he only watches them intently.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ROFL!!! Maxwell enjoys hunting and eating moths, but is afraid of flies. We don't have to go out for entertainment or even turn on the tv, Max provides us with so many goofy things to watch him do each and everyday.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
ROFL!!! Maxwell enjoys hunting and eating moths, but is afraid of flies...
When Moe was very young he used to chase moths, too. I told this story years ago...

We have a large porch that wraps around two sides of our house. At dusk we turn on the outside lights. Moe used to go in and out frequently (I was his full-time doorman - let Moe in, let Moe out, let Moe in, etc.). One night when Moe was out and we were watching TV we heard a loud noise, like a loud THUD! that rattled the wall. We looked at each other and wondered what the heck was that? Then we heard a galloping sound and another loud THUD! More galloping and THUD again! I went to the door and looked out in time to see Moe galloping down the full length of the porch, leap as high as he could (not so very high;)) and then he crashed into the side of the house! He was chasing moths that were attracted to the porch lights! He went from one side of the porch to the other trying to catch the moths. I laughed hysterically. This went on for an hour or so before he gave up his game and came inside.

He won't chase bees. As a young guy he followed a bumblebee to it's hole in the ground. Being a naturally curious sort of guy he shoved his nose into the hole after the Bumblebee... and was stung on his nose. Now instead of trying to eat them he irritates them by following them about the yard and barking furiously at them. That'll teach those stinging bees a lesson they won't soon forget...:rolleyes:

I could write a book of all the things he did or does that make me laugh!:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts