Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my neighbors dog is a half border collie half lab mix. He's the most annoying dog I think I've ever heard in my life. His bark is so high pitched and he carries on through the night! Anyway, he's started tearing the fence between my neighbor and I apart. I literally have plywood and cinder blocks EVERYWHERE along the fence and he is still managing to get through... Each time I take him back and they just put a temp fix on the fence! I finally got tired of taking the dog back to his owners so I decided to see how long (Milo) would stay in my backyard before they came to claim him...

Friends, it has been over a week now. Still, nothing. They don't care!! I don't know what to do. Now he's eating my fence on the other side (I live on a corner) and this will allow all 3 dogs to escape, on top of the fact that he's eating my expensive dog food.

Tonight I got home and my dogs were in his back yard and apparently had eaten VERY well. It's midnight and their stomachs are very bloated and I'm praying that it isn't THE bloat. They don't seem terribly uncomfortable so we will see.

:angry:
Sorry if this sounds so unorganized. I came home and needed to blow some steam about this.
I just don't know what to do!? I live in a very small town so there isn't a pound. I could drive him all the way to Lubbock and leave him at the no kill shelter but I'd feel horrible. I can't nor do I want to keep him myself. I'm at a loss. I don't want to make enemies with my neighbor but something has to be done.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can only think of two options. First of all have you talked to the owner in person? Secondly, I purchased some time ago a little hand held gadget from Radio Shack which has three function 1. flashlight, loud blast, (like in a rape situation I guess) and thirdly there is an ultra sound thing that only a dog can hear. I had no choice but to buy it. When I am out walking with Ruby and anyone with their dog even on a leash passes by she lunges at them and fiercly barks. She will also bark at people on bicycles. I just zap Ruby with the gadget and she perks her ears and shakes her head for a second. One day when I was an an outside restaurant having a coffee someones dog was barking non stop in a car with the windows rolled up. I just wanted to see how well it worked so I zapped the dog. Wow, his ears perked up and he stopped. Hey, it's just a suggestion something to think about.

Seldom do I ever use it with Ruby because I live in such a rural area. I got Ruby as an adult and this viciousness is how she came. At least I get her attention and I don't have to have my arm ripped out of it's socket and the other owner doesn't have to freak. Good luck.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yep, chain link. I think the neighbor's dog is just plain bored, and who could blame him if they're just ignoring him? With that particular mix, I'm sure his energy level is through the roof. He needs a job!

For your own dogs' sakes, install a more secure fence (I know it's expensive, but the alternative is much worse, no?). A decision needs to be made about Mr. Busy Body, and it's possible that it will fall to you. Do you have an animal control officer in the area? Since you've had this dog at your house for a week, have been feeding and caring for him, and the 'owners' have never even asked about him -- could this be abandonment? Check with the authorities. At the very least, this boy deserves a good home, hopefully one where he'll have someone willing to give him the time he needs. I'll bet he'd be a great agility dog.

Good luck with this, and please let us know how you make out......

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
In my area (which is rural), vets do double duty as rescues. Just a thought, since you're unable to adopt. There's a nominal fee - usually around $35-45 - but you know the pups are well taken care of. I turned over a darling little coonhound and what appeared to be cocker spaniel (???) mix to a vet last spring, and she was adopted into the perfect home for her. And I just adopted a redbone coonhound and what's looking to be - gulp - labrador :eek: :eek: mix from a vet a few weeks ago.

The rescues in this area are in overwhelm, so I prefer the vet route.

Just a thought ...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I think the absolute best thing you can do is take the dog either to a vet, as biscuit suggested, or drive him to Lubbock to the no-kill shelter. I'd take him to Lubbock--you never know if the vet you take him to knows the dog already (and, hence, the owners). Even if his owners did fix the fence, it wouldn't fix the problem, which is that the dog is bored out of his mind and will be miserable stuck in a backyard (and will continue to make life miserable for everyone). Poor dog.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys I really thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately this morning when I woke up and let my pups outside (I've tried letting Milo in too but he pees evertime you touch him) milo had broken the gate that's on the corner in two. Apparently he's a whole lot stronger than I first thought. he was gone. I've scoured the neighborhood looking for my neighbors' dog!

Also, I can't really do anything about the fence due to this house being a rental. I'm going to talk to my landlord today and see what he thinks about it all.

I feel so sorry for Milo, he's such a sweet dog.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Has Milo come back yet? If/when he does, I'd contact a rescue ASAP. This poor boy needs a good home, and you've obviously done all you could -- and more!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes he's back in my neighbors yard again, I've reinforced the fence yet again. My landlord knows the guy well and is going to have a chat with him today. If this doesn't solve our problem then I will call the local shelter... apparently we do have one I didn't know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts