Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

On Friday Lily came in from outside pawing at the right side of her face and licking her "chops". We thought she had gotten into something that tasted bad. We brushed her teeth twice, but she continued. We checked to see if she had something stuck in her teeth and found nothing. This continued off and on. Last night (Monday) at 10:00 we looked at her and the right side of her face was swollen. We immediately went to the EV. They said it wasn't a reaction to anything they thought it was a dental problem. They were about to give us meds and send us on to our regular vet when we shined the light into her mouth to find...A STICK IMBEDED IN THE ROOF OF HER MOUTH! It was terribly infected and stinky. They put her under sedation and took it out. They've given us meds for her to clear up the infection, but what a nightmare. I would expect something like this from a puppy, but I thought at 2 she would be done with this silliness. I guess not...I will be checking her mouth whenever she comes in and searching and disposing of any sticks I find in the yard. Today she is back to her normal happy self. She certianly had us quite worried.

~Heather

·
Registered
775 Posts
Poor baby! I just saw something similar to this on Animal Planet's E Vet Itern show. I thought how bizarre that was. WOW! Thanks for posting this story. It amazes me what kind of trouble they get into!!! Hope your girl is feeling better soon!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Elvis is a stick eater. He also has scars on his tummy to prove he is a rock eater too. 90% of his activities make me nervous and fearful for his safety. He doesn't have a care in the world.

Hope Lily feels better and heals well.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Oh my gosh! That will make me think twice the next time I see Murray with a stick!

I hope she's feeling better soon-

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have a 4 month old stick eater- thanks for the heads up! She loves sticks and is constantly bringing them in for a snack.. She is shredding my Wisteria bush- had a stick so big it took her forever to get it through the doggy door... we thought she was so cute with all the work she did... then we took it away :blink:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lily is doing great. Still trying to chew on sticks and I continue to fuss at her for it. Gibbs must've felt jealous or something because he started limping yesterday. I checked for signs of pain all over his leg and paw, but nothing. I was worried, but when I got home today he was fine.

~Heather

·
Registered
775 Posts
Our Golden did this same thing last year. Glad to hear your baby feels better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts