Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were just up at the park, it's been cold and mildly drizzly all day but I took advantage of the break in the drizzle to get Francis out before he drove me mad with his whining. We walked to the far field at my park and I let Francis off leash so he could run around the field (there aren't any obstacles, it's a huge soccer pitch so he can't bang into anything[for the newbies, Francis is completely blind from glaucoma]). Well, just when we were as far from the parking lot we could get, the sky opened up and the rain came down in buckets. So what does Francis do? He finds the one large bush in the entire field and crawls under it to get out of the rain and there was no way I could coax the little weasel out while I stood there getting utterly drenched. He HATES the rain! I cajoled, I pleaded, I begged and finally I got down on my hands and knees in that muddy field and dragged him out, with him fighting me all the way. I leashed him and started for the car while he dug in those mighty paws so I pretty much dragged him into the car. Once inside the little darling shook all over from head to toe.
When we got home he wouldn't get out of the car so I had to stand in the still pouring rain until I could leash him and drag him into the house.
Now he's sleeping like a baby and I'm still trying to warm up. I just poured myself a nice hot toddy so I can warm up and restore sanity to my world.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Francis is completely blind [/b]
Gosh that dog of yours amazes me-he might be blind but he can "see." From all the things you've told us Francis can do there's got to be some other sense besides smell that enables a dog who has had both his eyes removed function as Francis does. He's sure got you trained well, Beverly Anne! ;)

I had a basset named Hillary who not only hated the rain but hated the dew on the grass in the morning. I had to mow the lawn 3 times a week for her.

Hope your hot toddy is warming you up. Have a few of those and you won't even know your cold. :mellow:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yes, enjoy that hot toddy. But! were you well armed with treats to lure him out from under that bush?? :D
Sharon Hall

·
Registered
183 Posts
:p :) Sorry to laugh but that is the funniest thing I've heard in ages! We know all too well about the rain here. Sometimes I think the hounds just want us to get wet. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
813 Posts
George does that sort of thing to me all the time. He's ecstatic about going for a walk but simply WON'T come home and even if it's raining or cold or hot or anything, once we turn down our street it's like he's stuck in quicksand. It's my opinion they do that to remind you who's the boss, and it ain't YOU. :lol: I thought having Gigi -- who LOVES to walk, and I mean WALK, not stop and sniff every blade of grass and bark at every cat; when we go out with her, by golly, we need our track shoes -- would bring out the competitor in him and he'd be more willing to pick 'em up and put 'em down, but that only worked the first day. Now he doesn't seem to care HOW far ahead of him Gigi is (Hubby and I take turns on who walks which dog). Gigi gets concerned about him, however, and will haul her parent back toward him if we get too far in front, but HE doesn't care. Maybe there's a Basset Law we don't know about?

B

·
0 Posts
A hot Toddy sounds real good right now1 (GR) Basset hounds U got to love them. ;)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Always love the 'Francis' stories. :D He is one clever and comical character who never ceases to amaze. Just great to hear how well he has adapted, but I'm sure a lot of that is down to you.

BTW about the hot toddy, here it's considered almost 'criminal' to add anything to your whisky, except your mouth!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
What a cute story...Jackie hates the rain as well...she gives me the "horrible mommy" look :eek: every morning because of the dew on the grass. I just wish it was cold enough for a hot toddy here...it was 92 today... B) B)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think we all know (or will learn!!) that there is no task more awkward and unattractive than trying to get a reluctant basset to walk with you while in public.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts