Basset Hounds Forum banner

my dog likes digging in my couch!!!

20K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Mikey T 
#1 ·
New behavior for my daisy! she has started digging in my couch. And there is nothing there!!!! Couch is clean! No eating is allowed in the living room. So why is she doing this and what should I do to stop this behavior. I want to laugh, but at the same time I want to crown her. It's that hound in her getting into trouble and it's hard to scold a dog who is just doing what hounds do. So What do I do to teach her that this is not good doggie behavior??

#3 ·
This is a FAP (fixed action Pattern) in that it is hard wired into doggie brains much like the way cats stalk etc. It is a very difficult behavior to end. It is a self rewarding behavior. So simply punishing the behavior rarely works What you also must do is reward the desired behavior for the dog on the couch. So for example diigging behavior get dog remove from couch while spinning and lying down gets the dog pets and attention. An alternative is not to try an eliminate the behaviorr but make it more palitable. Like having a blanket or thow on the end of the couch so the dog can dig in it instead. and another option is not to let the dog on the couch.

#5 ·
hahaha points are well taken. I will put something over the couch I can't stop her from being on the couch because I know she is comfortable there and it is also where we snuggle, so....I will also try and reward good behavior and see what happens. I guess I know its in her nature, but she hasn't really gone the the extreme that she has until now. (she's almost 10 months) ripping the stuffing out.

#7 ·
Am embarrassed to post this picture. The loveseat has been through 5 dogs and several cats. It's definately a "pet couch" & my kids are threatening to burn it. I put a blanket over it to hide it and Barney pretty much digs to his hearts content and leaves the good stuff alone.:rolleyes:

Attachments

#8 ·
Whew I guess I'm pretty lucky coz Paisley cannot get on the furniture -- has never tried But she does dig everywhere else, dog bed, my bed, and carpet. Something weird to see her digging the carpet then just laying down in the same spot without accomplishing anything -- we call it making her nest!!!! Sometimes she resorts to digging the flower bed and comes up with the telltale evidence on her nose then just looks at you with a Me -- no not me look.

#9 ·
It is funny to watch. That's why I say its hard to be mad at her. The couches are really old. about 25 years old. But still, I have seen her try to burry her bone in it, but I check everyday to make sure her stuff isn't in there. I guess It is something I just have to lovingly accept. Maybe just redirect and move on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.