Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so confused. Duncan is now about 12 weeks old and couldn't be farther from potty trained. I suppose that it is my fault for not being as didligent as I should be. Well I was having dinner with my Vet tech friend and she was telling me that he should be able to hold it up to 8 hour by now and should be potty trained by 4 months. I was shocked, according to everything that I've ever read it may take months. Well I still decided to follow her advice and crate him if we weren't in direct contact, he had been leashed up in the house, she said he won't want to lay in his own pee in his crate and that he'll learn to hold it. Wrong! He pees in there and then licks it up and cleans up his own crate. What in the heck is that all about? Like I said in a previous post he pees alot, he will pee 5 minutes after coming in from outside and always goes when were outside and its large amounts. Any ideas?

A

·
0 Posts
For the dog that stays inside while you are at work I would suggest limiting his water to certain times of the day and/or certain amounts. As long as he does not get dehydrated. I have found that some dogs eat/drink out of bordome.

[ April 09, 2006, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: THE COPPER TOP ]

A

·
0 Posts
I would venture to guess that your vet tech friend is not very familiar with Bassets. They are notoriously difficult to housebreak and you would be VERY optimistic to hope for him to be trained by 12 weeks. Puppies pee TONS. Every time they wake up, they pee. Every time they play, they pee. Every time they eat/drink, they pee. Every time you're not looking, they pee. You would be best served by making yourself and Duncan a schedule of every 1/2 hour for awhile and if that works you can then lengthen it. Remember that at this time it's more training you than training him. It could take quite awhile as there are many here that will tell you that it took them months to be accident free. Good luck!

A

·
0 Posts
Bassets are a breed that mature slower than many breeds and as a result they have puppy behavior longer and potty training takes longer. Our first Basset, Bubba, was finally trustworthy in the house and un-crated when were not home when he was about 1 and 1/2 years old.
Now we have Bogie, who will be one year old on April 21st and we still crate him when leaving the house and he is confined to the kitchen den area when we are home. He knows to go outside, will ring the bell we have hanging by the door to go out and will do great for days. Then all of a sudden if he gets a chance, when we forget to shut the baby gate, he will walk into the dining room and pee on the carpet. Why, who knows ?? so for now he's not trustworthy either. He will get there one day.
So don't expect to much from your little one. Just have lots of patience, and try to put your Basset on a schedule as Lynne suggested. Also Bassets have terrific noses, and getting all traces of the urine smell out is a challenge, and the smell makes them want to go there. Also I would think eight hours is way to long to expect a four month old to be able to hold it. Usually an hour per month of age or four hours for a four month old puppy is more realistic.

Here are a couple of sites that might help:

http://clickersolutions.com/articles/2001/.../housetrain.htm

http://clickersolutions.com/articles/2001b/bell.htm

This is some information posted by Mikey T in a previous post on potty training.
"Do not rely on a puppy to tell you when it's time to go out. That is expecting too much responsibility and communication at too early an age. It is up to you, the adult human, to know when he needs to go out. Watch his activity level and the clock.

A 12 wk puppy who is busy playing may need to urinate every 15-20 minutes, whereas a resting puppy might go for an hour, and a sleeping puppy can go 8 hours at night. Activity makes urine! Activity makes urine! Repeat this 10 times, slowly. This is a very important lesson for new puppy owners.

...The behavior behind this training: Dogs develop substrate preferences for eliminating. By substrate, I mean what they feel under their feet. In their first few weeks of life they need their mother to lick them to stimulate elimination. Around 4 weeks of age they begin to control this themselves. It is a self-rewarding behavior because it feels good. They associate this good feeling with the environment they are in at the time. This is about the same time they are walking well enough to go outside. If they are taken outside enough, several times a day, during this period of development (4 through 8 weeks) they will associate the good feeling of relieving themselves with the grass under their feet, the sky above, and all the smells and sounds of the outdoors. The tactile experience, the texture under the feet, becomes the cue.

If your puppy does not already have this outdoor experience, then you can provide it for him now, to retrain the "substrate preference" he has already learned. Take the pup out about once per hour. This is after play, eating, sleeping, etc. If the puppy can't hold his urine from the crate to the back door while walking, carry him for the first week or so. After a busy play session, take the puppy out, even if it's only been 15 minutes since he last went out. Physical activity produces urine. Inactivity slows the production of urine. This is why a puppy can sleep all night without wetting in the crate, but will urinate on the floor as soon as you let him out of the crate."

Also go to the "search" area at the top of the forum page and type in "Potty Training" and you wiil find tons of helpful posts.
Good Luck!!

[ April 09, 2006, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: BubbaLeroy ]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about him drinking his own urine? I can accept the fact that he is going to take longer to potty train, although I did feel a bit inadequete by the vet tech friend. I'm just concerned that he'll get sick by licking up his own urine. I do apprieciate the advice and I did try to do a search but it kept teling me that the posts were no longer available. Thanks again

A

·
0 Posts
DON'T FEEL INADEQUETE
I'm known by family and friends as someone who can housetrain in 3 to 4 days. However I never had a basset before Menna at nearly a year old she is dry most days but my husband coming home and certain visitors arriving is so exciting she has no bladder control. I can't give advice but sometimes its nice to know your not the only one.

p.s. She is worth the hassle

M

·
0 Posts
Thankfully Rusty & Stickers came to us already housetrained!! It wasn't that way with my Maggie Mae. We got her when she was just 9 weeks old. She was a nightmare to train!! I was a full time stay at home Mommy too!!! It took me about 10 months to break her. She slept in her crate for the first 2 1/2 years because I didn't fully trust her. For almost 10 months she would pee AND poop in her crate and lay in it! She didn't care at all. Dogs "aren't" suppossed to go where they sleep, wrong! She just didn't care. Other than that she was fine. I feel your pain! Hang in there! When he is finally trained you will have many years with a great dog and look back on this and shake your head just like I do!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Your vet tech friend is probably well schooled in dogs, but not bassets. These are no the same creatures as labs or retrievers, and thinking they are will drive you insane.

·
Registered
813 Posts
As for holding it for eight hours, can you do that? I certainly can't and wouldn't expect a dog to be able to, either. I have to go three or four times during the work day whether I'm drinking a lot of fluid or not. If you can't come home at lunch to let him out, maybe you can block off the bathroom or kitchen and put down papers? Twelve weeks is still very much a baby, no matter the breed, and it's far too soon to expect him to be fully trained. He'll get it, I promise, but not for a while yet.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Okay, I can probably top everyone. Emma is SIX. Yes, six. And just saturday she pooped in our office. We usually crate her when we are gone all day to work, and she does fine in her crate. We leave her out for short periods... like 3 hours on Sunday morning, and she does fine. Saturday we left her out and ended up getting delayed and didn't get home for 6 1/2 - 7 hours. She pooped in the office. Did I mention she's SIX? :roll:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lawson(my male) took a year and a half, and Libby(my female) took 9 months. That's pretty good for Bassets. They can take years to fully potty train.
I actully got one of those doggy doors that fit into the sliding glass door, it helps us ALOT!! It was easy for me to train them to use it too. Since Bassets will do anything for food, I just toss a treat out the little door and they hop out, but you have to lock it so they won't come right back in before they go potty. After a few times, they got use to the door and had no problems going out by themselves without a treat, but, (hehe) they exspect one when they come back in of course!

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
what about him drinking his own urine? I can accept the fact that he is going to take longer to potty train, although I did feel a bit inadequete by the vet tech friend. I'm just concerned that he'll get sick by licking up his own urine.
Aside from a medical condition like a UTI Urine is aseptic unlike feeces it is extremely unlikely to cause harm

He pees in there and then licks it up and cleans up his own crate. What in the heck is that all about?
There are a couple of theories on that. On and least likely IMHO is the dog understand that peeing in the house is wrong/ he will be punished for pee in the house/ he know you don't want him to pee in the house but can't help it so he lick up and cleans the mess to avoid repercussions.

OR 2 dogs are ancestors of denning animals and at whelping bitchs definately show many denning instincts. For many if not most this includes cleaning the area of urine and feeces of the new pups by eating it. So the clean of soiled denning area may be a taught/learned behavior from its mother or a hard wired instinctual behavior in some dogs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i ditto all of the above. i have a 7 month old and kept reading that owners trained their dogs by 12 weeks....yeah right....the books say 1 hour for every month for puppys to hole it....WRONG....i was going out every 45 minutes until recently....
is your crate too big for your pup? try tightening up the space. i had to do that with sadie because she would pee an poop in her crate. then i gave her just enough space to turn around and sleep....no problems for 2 months.
glad to hear of other storys...i was getting worried that housetraining would never happen...i stilldont get a sign....i am trying bells right now...dont know if that will work...
good luck....dont get discouraged....

A

·
0 Posts
Your friend gave you incorrect information. 12 weeks is waaaaaay too young to expect this.

But you have to take your dog outside more often. The poor thing is probably more stressed out about trying to hold it that long.

When Ruby was that young, she'd wake up and we'd go outside, she'd come in and have breakfast, we'd go outside, she'd play a while and when she had that "look" and was sniffing by the door, we'd go outside. Back then we only left her in the crate for a couple of hours but we gradually did that. 1/2 hr in the crate, 1 hr, up to the few. We'd get up in the middle of the night and get her out of the crate to go out. That early on pee schedule drove me crazy because it was winter in Massachusetts, but she was finally able to do better as she got older.

I agree with the other poster saying that the crate might be too big. Only have it big enough for the bed and a couple of toys. He shouldn't be able to roam around in it.

Even now, Ruby's 7-1/2 yrs old and she doesn't hold it for 7 hours. Yeterday mornign she peed on the patio but her front feet were on the grass.She probably thought all of her was on the grass. :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
 Are you really saying some of you keep a dog in a crate for 7 hours a day!
Venus is in her cage 8 hours a day while I work. I usually go home and let her out on my lunch hour, but she doesn't always have to go to the bathroom. When I get home from work she is out for a long walk and lots of play time. On weekends she is never in her cage. (it's a BIG cage.)

When I get ready for work in the mornings she goes in all by herself and starts to sleep. She seems lo like it in there.

Most dog trainers are big advocates of crate training. Most people work 8 hours a day. Are suggesting anyone who works not get a dog? Or better yet put them in the back yard all day so they can bark at the neighbors while you aren't around? Crate training is a win/win situation for all parties involved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always heard that, on adverage, a dog's bladder doesn't fully develope until they are 6 mo. of age. Give or take some, depending on the breed.
Bassets take longer, and the fact that they are stubborn doesn't help either.
I do know that they could get bladder or urinary infections if they are forced to hold it too long.

A

·
0 Posts
Francis is 7 and his absolute MAX is 8 hours. It took forever and a day to housetrain him and he almost put me in the looneybin in the process.
But as the book title says, he had me at the first arooo so I never gave up.

[ April 11, 2006, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Beverly Anne Cawley ]

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't sell a puppy into a home where the dog would be crated 8 hours straight, 5 days a week. :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts