Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep my Basset Hound was laughed at yesterday.

I went snowmobiling up in Jackman, Maine yesterday. It just happened that all this weekend they are having Sled Dog Races. I took an hour or so off from riding my snowmobile to check them out.

As a group they were pretty nice, explaining how the dogs pull the sleds, and another sport I had never heard of before...Ski Journing? or something like that. That is where a Cross-Country Skier is pulled by one or two dogs. Kind of nice for the Skier...not so nice for the Dog. In any case when I asked if he thought my BH could pull me around in the snow he just laughed at the thought.

I was just joking of course, but it was nice to be a spectatlator at this event. They had so much control of their dogs, and they took such good care of them. It was really neat to see. Something I won't get into for sure, but it was interesting. As a whole they were a very, very friendly bunch of people.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
My bassets would very much like to go out for the Idatrod some year. Of course, they plan on being in the sled bundled up in some nice warm blankets with lots of treats nearby. However, they assure me they would love the scenery.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There was a sled team of bassets afew years ago. Can't remember who had them.
I took 55lb Stashu to a husky club fun event. He took second place in the novice weight pull, beating a 98lb Malamute --- don't sell a basset short.One of mine used to pull the kids around the yard on a metal sled designed to go behind a snowmobile.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My two could do it, but I wouldn't stay on the trail. They would end up chasing a rabbit, and I'd end up in the trees.

I know for sure Dozer could do it. He broke a retractable leash rated for a 100 lbs dog. He only weighed 45 lbs at the time.

Those short legs and big feet give them some power.

A

·
0 Posts
The only thing Tummy would pull is his food dish. Happy to be a slave for Tummy Boy.

A

·
0 Posts
When Ruby was younger and we'd go for a walk, it was usually her pulling on the leash to get to the good smelling lamp post (I useed to say that she'd go there to check her messages).

Anyway, when she was pulling, I used to say, "Ruby...mush, mush!" :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe a BH would make a great dog sled team. I know they would have great traction. Have you ever cut a BH's nails. Man are they ever thick. I think next time I trim Kenworth's I am going to use a pair of bolt cutters!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
<chuckle> I agree with 3 D's and Valerie.

There is no doubt that these bassets could pull, but the question is: can they stay on the trail the whole time? They might stop and take a sharp left to chase a bunny or to sniff an "interesting" smell or just sit there like any stubborn bassets do! :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts