Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beloved Rosie went to the bridge at 3:17 p.m. on Tuesday, June 7th.

Rosie was my first baby and my constant companion and I am overwhelmed with grief. I cannot grasp the fact that I will never again see her smile when she saw me. I will never again hear her whine when she knew I was opening the door. I will never again hear her sing when I told her to call her daddy. I will never again have her look at me in her funny way when she had to go outside. I will never again have her push me to get more room in bed or on the sofa. I will never again be able to rub her belly, play with her ears, take her with me everywhere I went - stores, vacations, visiting. We could communicate without words.

Rosie loved her daddy very much and was so happy to see him each day but we had a special bond.

I never knew that I could love so completely and be loved in return just as much. This is harder than I ever thought possible and I pray that I can get through it. I know that it takes time and I wish I could go to sleep for a couple of months and wake up with the hole torn out of my heart repaired.

I love you my child, my best friend, my companion and will never quit loving you or forget you. Thank you for being here and making our life so happy with joy.

Love Mom and Dad

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
This is a sad day on the board. So sorry about your dear Rosie. I hope in time your tears will turn into endearing memories that will make you smile again.
Many of us have lost a dear hound, and know how heart broken you are... How old was Rosie?

Sandy

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rosie

Rosie was 9 and we had her 7 wonderful years.

I wish I had found this forum during her 7 years with us. I love Bassets and I'm sure I could have learned a lot from ya'll. I don't know if I will be getting another because I'm not sure I could stand the hearbreak again.

Thank you for kinds words.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Having bassets and have lost one of them makes me understand how
devestated you are. Healing drool and prayers from us.

Can you post a picture of Rosie?

·
Registered
417 Posts
:cry: :cry: I'm so sorry for your loss. Just from reading your post, I can see how very much you loved your sweet Rosie. She was a very beautiful houndette (I looked at your website)!! I can only imagine the heartbreak from losing a beloved hound, as I haven't been through it yet....I hope in time the pain you are feeling will be overshadowed by all of the wonderful memories of your baby.
Hugs and Drool,
Mary

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is so hard to lose our beloved pets. I still can't quite grasp at times that my lovely Lucy-the cat I had for 13 tears- passed last November. The hole you feel now is horrible, but it will heal. I didn't think I could ever face having a cat again. But the wonderful new basset in my life will soon have a cat in the pack, and I am happy for it. We never, ever, replace the unique pets who share our lives. But we do learn to share the love we gave them.

I wish you all the best - our thoughts are with you.

M

·
0 Posts
I looked at your website and Rosie was a beautiful girl. She was obviously loved very much by your family. She does have alot of company waiting for her at the bridge. It hurts so bad when we lose our babies. Time does help. You will never get over losing her, but you will learn to live without her. In time, when you think of her you will be able to see the images of you petting her, playing with her, all the things you miss. You will one day think of her and smile instead of cry. It takes a long time. I lost my Maggie Mae in January and miss her terribly. I have 2 young wonderful Bassets to love. But they have not replaced her in anyway. Rosie was your baby and she always will be. Take care of yourself and remember that she was lucky to be loved so deeply for many years.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm so very sorry. Belinda.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I understand your grief. We lost Herbie on Christmas day 1973, after 11 years, the majority of my childhood (we got him when I was five). My mom bought another basset puppy less than a week later, and though Alice was not Herbie, she was definitely Alice, and as the new basset-in-residence she did a great job.

I'm sure you'll never forget Rosie, and you'll always mourn her loss, but puppies have a wonderful way of repairing those holes in the heart. I'd recommend getting another one as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss.

In 1974, we lost our first basset Bud. I was in college taking finals and my folks didn't tell me about it for a few days. To this day, I miss him.

I hope you realize that your basset is not in any pain and is playing happily with all those who went before her.

Healing drool sent by Ruby and hugs from me

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I am so sorry in your loss. Our Willie went to the bridge two years ago tomorrow. I still miss him- He took part of my heart when he left. I have two more wonderful bassets at home to keep me on my toes- But you never forget your special one. Sending many prayers- Wendy

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am sorry. It has been a difficult few days on the boards. I know all two well how you feel. It took us a long time before we could consider bringing new Basset Kids home after we lost our Sasha Foo. Luther & Sammy give me such joy but nothing ever replaces those we lost.

I hopw you find comfort and peace from those around you. You will be in my thoughts.

Suzanne

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for your kind words. It is comforting to know that you understand my grief. There are people who do not understand the love of a wonderful dog.

Here is a picture of her when she was feeling in her "I'm Queen" mode.

·
Registered
43 Posts
She was a beautiful girl I still miss my toby so much also Maybe in time you will find she has sent you a little rescue basset to come into your life...........................................

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Rosie's mom- I hope you don't mind. I belong to a Petloss Grief Support Group- This morning all around the world we are sending up balloons in memory of our beloved pets- I have a green one that I will send in honor of Rosie- Thinking of you- Wendy

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for being there for me.

Wendy, I am so thankful to you for send up a balloon for my baby girl. I hope she sees it.

Sandra

1 - 20 of 39 Posts