Basset Hounds Forum banner

My basset puppy is chewing EVERYTHING.

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  KiwiMax 
#1 ·
Hey there. I know this is general puppy behaviour but I literally cant take my eyes off him without him chewing anything in sight. Plants, stones, soil, wood, books, beds, my hands. Nothing is vicious to it but I'm just wondering if anyone has and hints or tips to help sooth his teeth as they are driving me as crazy as they are driving him. He has lots of chew toys and will use them but decides to use anything else unless prompted.

See less See more
#2 ·
How old is he because this may not be teething - just interested in anything he can get into! Basically you have to remove EVERYTHING you value from the puppy or it will be fair game. And invest in a crate for when you can't supervise what he's getting into, some of which could be outright dangerous!! Plants for sure, and stones could result in him ending up on the vet's operating table. Using a crate could quite literally save his life. Our second lad was a bit like that - he left his mark on the steering wheel of a comparatively new car, and the brake handle, both done when we put him back in the car, going back to look for our first Basset who had taken off.

For teething, put a damp flannel, or similar, into the freezer for him to chew on once frozen. If teething is proving really painful for him, your vet can prescribe something for that.

These days before you can start to get him out for more exercise, to make him tired, can be a real challenge.

I'm loving his ticking ..... and good bone there too. Where did he come from (bloodline?)

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I do have him a crate and try not to put him in it as a means of punishment but feel like it is getting more and more like that. He is just 14 weeks so we can finally take him on pavement walks. This is helping but even then anything lying around outside he wants to chew on. Especially stones. I didn't know that many stones were on planet earth until I got him. It's like his magic trick. He can pull a stone from literally anywhere.

I will try the damp cloth with him today. He's currently asleep being an angel at the minute (in his crate). 😁🐶

I've made some changes to the garden this morning so now everything is out of reach.

We got him from South Wales. Really nice place with a lovely bunch of bassets.

#4 ·
He may have some of mine in the background - my line is around, including in S.Wales. I hope you didn't pay an 'arm and a leg' for him because since Covid 19 hit, prices across all breeds here in the UK, have gone through the roof. So much that if I wanted another Basset puppy this late in my life, I'd not be able to afford one. :cry: Too many BYBs have jumped on the bandwagon as reputable breeders tend to have curtailed their breeding programmes just now. So there's a huge demand but low supply.

Don't you love the way Bassets will drag themselves into where they want to be, leaving some 'bits' hanging outside :giggle: We had one who would stick his head in a bush when doing a pooh, with the back end sticking out........ hilarious.

Enjoy!!

#5 ·

The soft bite training is not going too well, but in her defence, I am on blood thinners and the cuts come from me moving away rather than her biting deep. Maisie is the same age and has a mouth full of razor blades. I am putting toys out and she enjoys the feather duster and water butt hose as well.

She never fits herself into her bed fully, there is always a leg or her arse hanging out..

#6 ·
You can take your basset in your garden to do some exercise. You know it will tire him to chew anything. The next thing you can do is remove the valuable things from your room. It will be safe for you until your basset gets rid of this behavior. Your dog is just 14 weeks so don't worry. Keep giving him training. Hopefully, he will get rid of this chewing habit.

#11 · (Edited)
Sounds like your basset pup is determined to taste-test everything around. It's great that you've got plenty of chew toys for him, but sometimes they need a little extra encouragement.

Have you considered trying some of those frozen puppy teething toys or even some puppy-safe chew treats? They can be a lifesaver during this phase. And if you ever need more advice, you might want to check out Our Pet Card for some helpful tips and tricks.