Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question: My Eddie has always been so good at eating, but he is turning into 5 months and now he seems like he eats his food like an obligation. I had to change his bowl so he eats his food. He always like to ask for food at table and eats yogurt for example. But when it comes to eat his food he is not excited as he used to. Is it normal? We went to the vet, it seems like everything is fine, but I miss my food excited version of Eddie. Any advices or has anybody went through something like this?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Could this be as simple as teething? Is he around 5 months, or has this been going on for that long? Did your vet look in his mouth? Clearly this isn't 'basset behaviour' (food). If he is still a puppy, have you switched to a Junior or even Adult version of the same brand - sometimes mine would go off their puppy food by around 8 months (bit older but still). Maybe he's gone through his max. growth period, so isn't quite as hungry now. Also again if he's a puppy, how many meals a day is he on. You may be able to cut out lunch now, but increasing slightly, the two other meals? How is his weight - you should be able to feel the ribs, but not see them. Lastly if this is only recent, and he's not 5 months, but older, could there be a bitch in season locally that's upsetting him?

·
Registered
13,027 Posts
just at the end of a major growth spurt and needs less food. happens all the time. Don't go trying to make him eat it is how you creatge a picky eater. Resue to eat get something better , encourages being picky. No health dog will starve itself to death if hungry enough he will eat,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question: My Eddie has always been so good at eating, but he is turning into 5 months and now he seems like he eats his food like an obligation. I had to change his bowl so he eats his food. He always like to ask for food at table and eats yogurt for example. But when it comes to eat his food he is not excited as he used to. Is it normal? We went to the vet, it seems like everything is fine, but I miss my food excited version of Eddie. Any advices or has anybody went through something like this?
I have a pug who is a year old now—she did the same thing at about that age—because she seemed to lose interest In the food we had been feeding her I tried changing foods several times without success and so we started giving her meat from our dinners and other foods —big mistake. The only food she would eat was expensive Fresh Pet and little of her kibble. Now she is overweight and we had to cut out all the people food and start her on a weight management kibble (eats less than the recommended amount on the bag) —and I mix just a little lean meat and some veggies in it and now she is eating better twice a day. I wish I had just given her a little tough love—she would have eaten the kibble if that was all she was getting. Now we have a Bassett puppy 3 months old who eats ravenously but I‘m anticipating the slow down and she will only get her kibble. She isn’t the beggar that our pug is Because we give her no people food so it should be easier. Being a parent of dog babies can really be anxiety provoking. I am trying to learn to trust my puppies to eat and behave as nature intends. I guess weight and overall activity are best measures of adequate nutrition. I sympathize with you. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts