Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When she meets a new dog smaller than she is, usually there is no problem. When you throw a bigger dog in the mix she will submissively lie down and play dead, this seems to make the big dog want to sniff her more. Well, once the sniffing last about 5 seconds she gets up and lunges at the dog growling and sometimes snapping. She might have slightly bit another dog today and I have learned my lesson. It was really scary.

I know I should try to correct the behaviour and not let her lie down when
she meets new dogs. The dogs she usually has no problems with big or small are the dogs that dont really care she is around, very mellow dogs who like doing there own thing, running around or whatever. She has snappped at rotties, dobermans, dalmations, huskies...etc Probably most of them were male from what I can remember.

She loves golden retrievers lol

Also I would like to point out this aggressive or defensive behaviour has never been exhibited towards humans, from babies to toddlers to adults she is soooo friendly.

Any advice? thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
There is no reason why she should have to tolerate having her personal space invaded by rude dogs. Instead of correcting her for objecting, you should keep other dogs from bothering her in the first place. By lying down, she is indicating that she is unsure about interacting with the larger dog.

Here is an excellent article on the subject: "He just wants to say "Hi!""

Flying Dog Press - Suzanne Clothier - He Just Wants To Say "Hi!"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply, I just wanted confirmation. I will let her run with only dogs I know she likes. Near my house there is a beagle and golden retriever that she loves to play with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and thanks for the article, I looked in the past for similar material but never found it.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
FWIW the lie down and turning the belly up is a submissive gesture indicating to the other dogs she is not a threat. If the snaping and other behavior only occurs ocassionally then it is likely she is letting the other dog they have gone to far. However if it happens everytime she engages in the submissive behavior then there is more cause for concern.

I had one basset that would use this type of behavior as a prelude to play with much larger dogs. To indicate her obnoxious jumping etc that was soon to begin was play and not an act of aggression. Us humans are poor are readining doggie body lanquage. But by observing how the other dogs react we can gain insight as well. In the case of mine they larger dogs all welcomed the obnoxious play so obviously she was communicate the desire to play. If the large dog jump back etc then obviously the snaping was not intended as a part of play and was to tell them to back off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts