Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi… we have a 7 month old Bassador - Basset crossed with labRadnor. We have always had pure Labrador’s in the past and so we are adjusting and getting to know the idiosyncrasies of Basset’s. This forum is a great point of reference.

We absolutely adore Watson, he is a good natured dog, mischievous at times, but very sociable.

However, he has one disgusting habit, he eats his own poo!

We always clear up his poo to try and avoid this happening, however quite often he will go for a poo on the other side of the garden and then quickly turn around and gobble it up before we have time to pick it up.

Surprisingly it doesn’t seem to make him ill.

Is this a common problem with Bassett’s? Does anyone know how we can stop him from doing it?

Picture shows Watson waiting for his food. We alway make him wait for about 10 seconds when we put his food down, and then signal that he can start.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Oh yes, we've had this going on. However, the first time I saw it was with my first bitch when she was in whelp which led me to thinking may be it was down to something missing in her diet. After her, I had various who'd do this which had me shouting at them like a fisher-woman (which tended only to make them gobble it up faster) much as I tried to be out there so could pick up pretty much as soon as it appeared - which seemed to be the most attractive for those who did this!. Look to the diet as some cereal based food tends to go through only partially digested. I feed a meat or fish based food which tends to be better digested.

There are various so-called remedies to stop this, none of which has ever worked for mine - what works is to be there to pick it up straight away (which wasn't easy with numbers!!).

It won't, or shouldn't make them ill, it just makes for ewww breath!

Much as I hate mixes involving Bassets, your boy is charming. It always fascinates me how much the Basset comes through in mixes involving them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your reply, you sound like a very experienced Bassett owner and so it is helpful to hear your comments, and reassuring when you say that this horrible habit shouldn’t make them ill.

Interestingly I have been considering changing his food because I have been hearing that the puppy food that we currently give him is not very good because of the high cereal content, this then also ties in with one of your reasons why he might be eating his poo. You have helped me to make my mind up to now change his food to a more protein based one, thank you.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Just to add, make sure your boy doesn't eat stools from other dogs - that could make him ill, and possibly give him worms, if said other dogs were unwell/had worms!

We lived with Bassets since 1972 until I ended my line after discovering the last outside stud I used was lost to epilepsy (later) which on it's own might not have been so worrying, but then I discovered they lost his mother to that too!! I made the decision not to allow the male I'd kept to be used at stud, and didn't take a litter from his sister who I also kept from that litter. I felt the buck had to stop somewhere .... neither of those two developed epilepsy however.

And now, having bought in another after we lost the last of our line, we had to let him go in April 2020 after he went off his back legs at only 10.5 years. I was going to give him time, but he was distressed, and had a ton of other things wrong with him, healthwise. It was tragic as he was otherwise such a nice boy.

Frankie at 4 months.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Snout

I would just say despite our years of lives 'with Basset', I am always learning, especially as medical treatments are continually evolving!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts