Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy did I mess up today. I left the gate open, for about 2 hours, bad food slave! :angry:

Minnie and Dudley were outside for much of that time and THEY STAYED PUT!!! :lol:

I'm back out to cook burgers on the grill, they will each get one for dinner. How wonderful are my hounds? :lol: :p :lol:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Great hounds, and what a beautiful day in Maryland today.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
What great dogs!!! :D You must have had had a heart attack when you realized!

Several years ago, gusty winds blew open the double doors to our home. My neighbor called me at work, and I raced home, heart in my mouth. One of our indoor cats was sitting on the front stairs, waiting for me. Fortunately, all the dogs were crated, or it could have been horrible. I was never so thankful for crates in my life! :eek:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Such good hounds you have. :) Be sure to give them lots of treats and hugs for being such good hounds. :) It's so scrcy when you do something like that. We left the gate open once and Bubba (ATB) visited our neighbors and was on their deck porch. Not far but sure scared the heck out of us. I'm paranoid about the gates with Bogie. He would head out for a great adventure and eat some rocks along the way. :unsure:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You must have had had a heart attack when you realized![/b]
I sure did. Then I had a few choice words for myself! "Dern Fool" is the only thing I will repeat here, as we are pretty much G-rated on this board. :lol:

When I discovered my mistake, Minnie was just laying on the grass, 10 feet from the gate. I'm still astounded. :eek:
I was lucky none of the local rabbit family hopped past, I'm sure that would have been too tempting for any hound.

They each got a whole 1/2 pound burger for their amazingly good behavior!

L

·
0 Posts
<OMG> They are little miraclesThat might be beginners luck- watch out. LOL. Happy 4th.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<OMG> They are little miracles. That might be beginners luck- watch out. LOL. Happy 4th.[/b]
Well I've had them for several years now, I'm not exactly a beginner! :p

But it was a combination of training and luck, I won't deny that. If another dog had come along (or a small chase-able animal) I doubt the training would have held. Some things are too much to resist!

Unfortunately my poor hounds are having a druggie 4th. Their thunderstorm fears have now expanded to include fireworks. Our neighborhood is absolutely chock-full of people with HUGE amounts of illegal fireworks. Last night (the 3rd, mind you) sounded like a war zone! The dogs were a wreck. People started blowing stuff up at noon today, I'm dreading this evening.

For the record, I hate sedating my dogs, do it 2-3 times a year, tops. I have tried various herbal/natural "calming cures," they don't work for Duds or Minnie. :(

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I hope they got their burgers cooked to perfection!

These is nothing like that sinking feeling when you know you left a gate or door open! We're so glad it had a happy ending.

Our gate got accidently opened one day and all 9 decided to go for a romp. Luckily we aren't near any roads and they all were pretty close by.

In NM a lot of firewords are legal (grrr....). I am expecting a terrible afternoon/evening once the festivities start.

Have a safe holdiay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts