Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Bassett Hound lovers, My 12 year old Bassett has been diagnosed with IBD.
He has a lot of straining when going poop. He started vomiting and would not eat anything. Which is very strange for him and most Bassets of course. I took him to the vet right away. He was very dehydrated and was just not the normal stubborn Bassett that I am use to. He was in ICU at the vet for two days on iv's and medicine. After blood work and X-Ray's. I have always fed him high end dog food and treats his whole life. The vet has now changed his diet to a sensitive stomach food which I am not a big fan of. I only like organic grain free food. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else experienced these issues with there Bassett or has your Bassett been diagnosed with IBD? Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
12,995 Posts
The vet has now changed his diet to a sensitive stomach food which I am not a big fan of. I only like organic grain free food[/qulte]

Whiat is important is not what you arbitrary preferrence is but instead what works best for the dog.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I've never heard of a dog with IBD, but I would think some grain (or some other sources of fiber) would be needed to help move things along. Good luck with your pooch. I hope the food helps his tummy.

·
Registered
12,995 Posts
FWIW most fiber in dog food does not come from grains but specifical added such as beet pulp. Any kibble type food need stearch to keep it together so grain free food use another source for stearch such as potatoes or tapioca. There is nothing inherentently better about these no grain stearch sources as nutritional they are generally inferior to grains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts