Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Wilson to the local groomers on Friday morning for a quick nail clip. Just like he is used to and doesn't mind, we whip in, he is quickly hoisted onto the table, one paw, two paws, three paws, four, 18 quick clips and he is finished, a treat in his jowls and away we go. $14.00 spent for what I am not comfortable doing myself.

So Friday, this new girl tells me (middle aged woman with carpal tunnel) to lift my dog up, next thing I know, first nail trimmed is bleeding like crazy and Wilson just lets out one yelp, I hug and comfort and pet while this nut is trying to stop the bleeding, then she barely clips the ends of the rest of his claws, seems to take forever, Wilson is rolling his eyes at me, still being an awesome good boy, she calls in help to lift him down and away we go, still $14.00 but this time I feel cheated and I hope that Wilson forgets this quickly. No point, just venting and wishing I could remember the name of the other groomer so that I can ask for her by name next time.

Susan and Wilson

·
Registered
27 Posts
call

and ask who was working when you went and then ask for the name of the other groomer that works there and her hours, and i think i would say something i think i would tell them how your normally treated and the differnce and let them know what you normally receive for your 14 bucks which btw is a great price i hate cutting lulus nails soo much i take her to my mil she does them for free but just the gas there and back is almost 20 bucks and lulu always pukes in my car i am considering take her to a local pet groomer thats closer they even paint the girlies nails

·
Registered
27 Posts
midwest here if i didnt have a dog puking in my van every time i wouldnt mind the 20 bucks in gas lol just the dog puke soo grosses me out :lol:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
WilsonsMom, If I were you I won't have that same lady clip Wilson's nails anymore. One time is enough.
Nail Clipping can be a really traumatic event IF it hurts the dog. Next time you know, the dog won't let you touch his paws anymore.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Generously tip the folks who do a good job, and they'll be sure to watch out for you! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by Lina

Nail Clipping can be a really traumatic event IF it hurts the dog. Next time you know, the dog won't let you touch his paws anymore.
I accidently clipped one of Daug's nails to short. She was still a puppy wanting to play, I clipped at the same time she moved. It drew blood and from now on it is a real adventure to clip her nails.

I have to wait until she is asleep and quickly clip one or two before she wakes up. She then runs to a different spot and goes to sleep. Then the phantom nail clipper strikes again! By the time we are done both of us are completely exhuasted.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I happliy pay $15 dollars to the vet to clip Sebi's nails, becuase Mike & I can't handle the drama. Seriously, it took 2 techs and myself to hold him down last week at the vet - and Sebi still managed to twitch just enough on the very last nail to recieve a minor clip to his quick. I can just imagine the fuss we're going to have next time.

I would definately find out the name of who assisted you, and perhaps politely request if she was new and still learning how to clip nails. I would also politely suggest that they at the shop invest more time with training, and perhaps have a more seasoned person supervising clips with her until she learns the ropes.

I can share your aggrivation over feeling you were asked to pay a fee for a service you did not recieve. Make certain that they understand your concerns, and if it happens again you will learn a lot about how seriously they take repeat customers.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yesterday, Wally and Sissy had their monthly appt. with their groomer. They get a bath, brushed with a furminator, nails clipped and anal gland addressed. They love to go see Bonnie and she charges each month $44.20 which is for both of them. At Christmas, she does it free for their Christmas present. They have went to her for 2 years now. It was too much for me to do at home. The reason is I made the mistake and clipped Wally's too short - blood everywhere. He gets upset with me if I touch his paws. When Bonnie cuts his nails, he rolls over on his back so she can rub his belly which she does after each nail. They love her. I mention Bonnie and they are howling standing at the door.
I would report the lady who did poorly so you are protecting the next dog she "attempts" to clip their nails.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Occasionally, even the best groomer will cut a nail too short. I've been doing it professionally for 18 years, and I still do it occasionally, even on my own dogs who lie quietly on their sides for the process. The best thing when that happens in to take it in stride. Causing a fuss and getting upset convices the dog that something bad has happened. On the other hand, if I'm grooming a dog without the owner present it's not uncommon for the dog not to react at all to a nail cut too short, and I don't notice until later when I'm trimming the feet.

Groomers have to walk a fine line with this one, if we're ultra careful never to nick a nail, then the owners complain that we didn't take enough off. If we try to take off enough to make a difference, owners complain if it bleeds. Also, some nails can be difficult to judge, there are some that I can take 2 or 3 cuts to get them back far enough, others that just taking off the very tip will result in bleeding.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I so agree Soundtrack. I was just venting yesterday. If the job were an easy one I would do it myselt but I have to put my faith in others to do what I will not do myself. My thoughts were that the usual girl who looks after Wilson was much more confident and just showed who was boss and that's how she handled it.

I think this girl was possibly new and perhaps afraid that something like that would happen and sure enough, prophecy came true.

I am very fortunate that Wilson is so laid back and easy going. At the time I just kept petting him and telling him what a good boy he was and I don't believe there will be any lasting effects from this. (I HOPE).

·
Registered
662 Posts
Originally posted by Soundtrack
... <snip> ... some nails can be difficult to judge, there are some that I can take 2 or 3 cuts to get them back far enough, others that just taking off the very tip will result in bleeding.
I find the same ... most particularly with Mocha. Beldin's nails are almost all a whitish/clear colour and I can pretty much tell where his are safe to go back far enough.

With Mocha though her nails are all black! I can't tell at all so mostly I just do little snips til I take enough off.

It's a good thing for me she's a patient pup! :)

Beldin on the other hand acts like I'm trying to kill him or something if I even -look- at him like I'm going to even THINK about clipping his nails! *lol*

1 - 14 of 14 Posts