Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been feeding Carlos homemade food for the last couple of months (rice, ground chicken or beef meat, and a little bit of vegetables) and he loves it. His poop is usually normal, but it seems he has this mushy and mucous-y poop once a week. The vet has ruled out worms and parasites, she said Carlos has weak stomach and he was given enzymes and curcuma tablets but they didn't seem to have any effect (he still has mushy poop once a week).
She suggested weekly fasting (no food or treats, just water). Is this right or should I get a second opinion from other vet?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I once had a dog that had mucusy poo, it was more than once a week though. It was like an everyday thing. It ended up being hook worms. She had it occasionally afterwards as we tried to find good dog food. But, seeing as how your vet already ruled out worms ect. And it sounds like his diet is probably not the problem...I'm stumped. Maybe it's a treat your giving him? Maybe it's not agreeing with his tummy. Or maybe he's induldging in his own treat? Getting into the trash, eating something outside?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Oh, and one time my granny's dog got sick and the vet couldn't figure out why. He told her to give her a little pepto. It helped her feel better and it just went away on it's own.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Had that mucus stuff once, and it ended up being a bacterial infection in his intestines. Antibiotics then yogurt took care of it.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
How to Treat Mucus in a Dogs Stool

The dog apears to have colitis. fast is often recommend as is a bland diet, In addition to the suggestion above , whip worm is hard to detect a proactive worming may still be indicared even with a postive test resultrecuring. I would also look at the ingredient in the diet. Is one of the the cause food intoreance etc can cause this also an excess of fiber or a to little fiber ie to many or to few vegitables. a food intolerance or allergy as well

ANSWERING YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT COLITIS

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I would tend to think the diet he is on may not be very nutritional weather or not it has anything to do with mushy pooh who knows but what you say you are feeding him does not sound like it would have enough vitamins or nutrients to keep him healthy for very long.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Worm had several bouts of loose stools & diarrhea, including mucousy stools, too. Initially due to worms (he had tape and roundworms), but later, not so sure the cause.

I eventually put him on daily yogurt, which seems to help keep him regular. His kongs are stuffed w/yogurt and peanut butter these days, so if I give him a kong, that's his dose of yogurt for the day. Just vanilla, low-fat yogurt that has active cultures in it, to help grow healthy, good bacteria in his gut.

I also give him homemade food (rice, chicken, and 50% veggies), tho it is in conjunction w/1 cup dry dog food total/day and also 2 spoons of wet dry dog food (a can lasts 4-7 days), so he can have some of that stuff made just for dogs. Our vet also suggested a daily multivitamin, in case his diet is lacking in anything from the homemade part. So he gets that daily too.

anyways, just some thoughts for you and Carlos... hope he feels better soon :( no fun for doggie nor for person to deal with mushy poo and tummy upset.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions :)
I took Carlos to a different vet, she said he has colitis and gave him de-worming tablet, multivitamins, and she suggested to take out ground beef from his diet list since it contains more fat than chicken.
She also suggested yoghurt in his daily diet
I'm tellin you before I have Carlos I never imagined I'd enjoy looking at poops :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
she suggested to take out ground beef from his diet list since it contains more fat than chicken.
What the average vet knows about canine nutrition can usually be contained on a half sheet of paper double spaced next to nothing. It pays to fine out the schooling in this area. it is also and area in which new research is be basing many long held theories and truism. Ie feed a low protein diet to dogs. etc.

Fat for most dogs is a much better energy source than carbohydrates, For some dogs acutely hugh levels of fat consumption have been tied to pancriatitis while racing sled dogs are routinely fed diets as high as 70% fat. Is it possible that fat is a culprit or in particular beef fat but in general I would be more suspect of vegitable matter which are general hard for dogs to digest unless juiced or cooked to mush,

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
haha Annie, you are funny :)

Carlos, you have good mommy. Mine doesn't like anything to do with my poops. The people at daycare were concerned because i had "colorful poops"-- yep, yellow and orange because of carrots, yams, corn. i sure am colorful on the insides.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is it possible that fat is a culprit or in particular beef fat but in general I would be more suspect of vegitable matter which are general hard for dogs to digest unless juiced or cooked to mush,
I give him very little vegetables, like only 1/4 carrot daily. Is that ok or too much? His poop today is normal again

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
give him very little vegetables, like only 1/4 carrot daily. Is that ok or too much? His poop today is normal again
it whole depends on the dogs some have no problems with a lot more other have problems with a lot less. It would be a good idea to keep notes on what what the meals vs the stools If stools remain good for a few week and no beef that is the likely cause if you want to prove it then feed beef again and see if the problem arises but give the dog al least a couple week or more without problems before going that route.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts