Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we were getting ready to leave the Alzheimer's wing after our pet therapy visit, one of the aids approached me. She pointed to a frail 90 year old woman hunched over in her wheelchair in a corner of the activities room- " I think that lady would like to meet you", she said.So Murray ambled over to where she sat alone with her head down; I checked the brake on her chair to make sure it was locked in place, and Murray sat down in front of her, put his big head in her lap, and gazed up at her. She opened her eyes and tears started running down her cheeks. "I used to raise basssets!", she said.There are alot of things from her life that she has forgotten, but for the next 15 minutes she told us stories about Tinkerbell who ran off across the fields one day 50 years ago to chase rabbits and didn't return til nightfall, and Maggie, and Jack, her favorite.Murray closed his eyes, and she stroked his head while she talked- he was almost dozing by the time we left. We'll definitely visit with her again next week. It was a good night.

A

·
0 Posts
Ah, well done. You probably made that lady's whole week. Well done.
Arlene and Opus.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Such a touching story,just gives me a bit more encouragement, when you hear of the pleasure they can give to vulnerable people.

M

·
0 Posts
WOW! That story brought tears to my eyes. How wonderful that Murray can bring such love to this lady. That is wonderful work you to with him. Rusty was going to a reading program for kids at school. Next week he is getting neutered, then I will try to start something here with him. I'll the one who will need the most training!

A

·
0 Posts
You have no idea how important touch is to elderly people. I am trying to type and cry at the same time. His job is so important and God bless you for doing this very special act of love for human beings. I used to be an administrator for long term care facilities and just the smallest amount of interaction can lighten up ones entire week. You truly are a beacon to the disappointed. Thank you for sharing this story and your time.

A

·
0 Posts
Oh well I am already starting the day crying . What a great service U are providing. U had me when he lay his head down and closed his eyes. That's why I love bassets. Happy to be a slave for Tummy Boy.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
What a lovely story. My mom had Alzheimers too.
We had a basset for several years when I was growing up. 5 years ago, I took Duke to visit her, as a puppy, She laughed when she saw him, and almost couldn't stop. Then she said, "when did he come back?" I realized she thought it was Brutus, our old basset. It was the last lucid thing to come out of her mouth.
Pet therapy is wonderful, you can useually tell who were animal lovers, they don't seem to forget that.

Sandy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thank you for posting this - the schedule to get Sebi qualified for pet therapy is intimidating, but beautiful tales like this just make me that more determined to figure out how to work it all in.

A

·
0 Posts
Wow, this really touched my heart.
My grandmother passed away last summer, she had lived the last few years of her life in a nursing home due to her poor health. Every time we went there with our son (who is 9) the happiness you could see in the faces of the residents over seeing a child was amazing. I remember seeing people there with dogs, don't think they were therapy dogs, and the residents had the same sense of happiness.
I have been trying to find information here in order to get Molly into therapy work. This story will certainly motivate me to keep pushing for info!
Jennifer

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Thanks for sharing this story. You should write these down-never know, you could write a book someday. Imagine what a tear jerker that would be?

·
Registered
987 Posts
That was so touching, but now I'm sitting here at work sniffling. I hope we can be as affective when we start our visits. (molly and I)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Wow....you both made the old lady's day perfect! It's amazing how pets could brighten up someone's else life. Two thumbs up for you!

I wish my hounds could do such thing, but I'm so sure both will fail the test.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts