Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here we are arriving at the Hotel Marlow- the sign says "Welcome Murray"!

Murray charms the doorman. He got treats every time we used the door!

Murray was a pro at using the elevator- he liked the other passengers because they were a captive audience- he always got pets from the elevator people!

Walkies.

Minna was with her old family in Connecticut so Murray got all the attention. He loves Boston!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Boston is a great town and they proved it by their welcome to Murray!

He is a very handsome houndie and it looks like your vacation/trip was great.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, he IS longer than most bassets, but the elevator picture is a bit of an optical illusion-I didn't notice before that he looks about 4' long in that picture ! :lol: ! I think the last picture (Walkies) is more realistic as to how he looks-

As far as dog friendly hotels: the Hotel Marlowe specializes in dog-friendly rooms- they have animal print rugs, animal print throws on the beds,they give their doggie guests leopard print collars and bags of treats, and dogs are welcome at their fireside 'happy hour'. We usually stay at Motel 8's which are dog friendly and a lot cheaper, but Paul had a meeting in Cambridge which was close by the hotel, so we splurged. It was fun!

Murray liked 'happy hour'- everyone fed him pretzels and cookies while he stretched in front of the fireplace!!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Sounds like a real fun time! Wish I had known about Hotel Marlowe when we lived there......

Our last day in town there (in a big snow storm mind you), after the movers packed up all of our stuff, we stayed at the Embassy Suites in Marlborough and they had a gift basket for Ruby! She loved it!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Is there a website or something that you can go to that will tell you about pet friendly hotels or do you have to go to each hotel website to find out?

~Heather

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/travel/guides/us/us.shtml

The above is a link to pet friendly accomodations in the US and Canada. If you google 'pet friendly hotels' or 'dog friendly hotels' you can find more sites.

We travel alot and always take the dogs if it's possible. Some tips on a hassel-free journey are:

1.Keep your dogs as much as possible in their home routine:same food, sleep and walk schedule, and taking some water from home helps- water in different parts of the country can be foreign to a dog's taste and smell, so bringing about a gallon along to mix with new water helps in the transition.

2.Take vet records. Canada requires proof of rabies vaccine when you cross the border, and if there is a vet emergency it's good to have a record of shots, etc.

3.Have your first aid kit and the number of a local vet on hand. The first summer we had Minna(dachshund) we stayed at a cottage in the boonies in Canada. She was bitten by something and swelled up like a little brown football. It was a really severe reaction and the nearest vet was 40 miles away. Knowing before hand where the vet was located saved us time, and having benedryl on hand helped Minna til we could get her to the vet.

4.Lot's of restaurants have patios in the summer where well-behaved dogs are welcome- we've been able to eat out with the dogs more often than you would think.

We love traveling with Murray and Minna- they are real conversation starters- we've met lots of great people on our travels because of them.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
What no leashless romp in the Common?

Top 7 Boston Dog Parks
"There’s no fenced area and the roads by the Common can get busy, so be sure to keep an eye on your dog if you let it off the leash. Off-leash hours are 6:30-8:30 a.m. and 5-7 p.m."

·
Registered
782 Posts
Heck, had I known you were coming to my city I could have given you some super places that Francis loves. Boston is a real dog-lovers city and back when Fran could see we went everywhere together and he was welcome even in a few of the pubs we like to go. If anyone else is coming here let us know, we'd love to play tourguide.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike, thanks for the dog park information! And Bev, we do get up to Boston every now and then- would love to check out the dog friendly pubs!

It seems like more places in the U.S., especially on the east coast, are allowing dogs. We always look for restaurants that allow dogs on their outdoor patios. And last year we found a tiny vegetarian restaurant in Philadelphia that actually allows dogs inside. :p !

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Awesome pictures!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time!!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Well I was going to use the website someone put up there earlier to find a dog friendly place so that my dogs could come with my fiance and I on the honeymoon in June. I was out voted however by my fiance and my parents. Oh well maybe next year's vacation.

p.s. I so would love to go to Boston someday.

~Heather

1 - 17 of 17 Posts