Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murray was running in the yard 3 weeks ago, and came in limping on his front right leg. The vet took x-rays, checked it out, and put him on Deramax for 7 days- he said as far as he could tell Murray twisted his ankle, and it was probably inflamed. He was fine after 3 days, no limping, but I kept him on the meds for the full 7 days.

Last night after being walked he was limping again. The walk was long but he seemed fine while we were walking- after coming home and resting he started limping again.

The vet now has him on another 10 days of Deramax, I'm keeping him on a leash when he's in the yard, and piled baskets on the couch so he can't jump up. The vet said I don't have to crate him since he has never been crated, but his activity is very restricted. He's pretty much confined to one room.

He is 5 now- the leg in question is extremely twisted, to the point that his foot is almost sideways. The foot has always been like that, and up to this point hasn't posed any problems.His joints in the x-rays look perfect, no arthritis.His weight is perfect.

My question is this: will this become a weak leg that I will have to monitor, and possible restrict activity for the rest of his life?I need opinions from some of you who have dealt with this-

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Granted, bassets and labs are very different critters - labs simply don't have all the weird skeletal issues bassets do - but Yogi has injured himself that way before and he's fine now. Almost obnoxiously so. :blink:

Unless bones or ligaments or tendons are involved (that is, ripped or torn ligaments), I would guess it would heal up just fine, given some rest.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks biscuit- the vet seems to think that will be the case, so I hope you're right,

It's just that this leg has always seemed so unstable to me- honestly, the foot is almost pointing backwards- it just seems that because of the structure, stumbling on that foot and twisting it would be easy to do.

I'm kind of amazed he's never had a mishap before.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Baroo has never had an injury to her legs or paws before. One day on a walk however she came home limping, I checked her feet and seen nothing. I resigned to watch it for a while and it didn't go away. After an hour or so I found a small piece of pine needle embedded in the pad of her paw. I didn't see it at first because it was inbetween her "toes" and hidden. When I pulled it out she yiped but she was like new right after that. She has done that twice since and I knew what to do. Now we walk a different path and no incidents. It is probably not this simple for you but I thought it worth a shot to give you my experience. Lots of luck getting your baby back on the road to wellness. BTW the paw in question with Baroo was also the one she has turned almost completely sideways.

Tracey

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
If there's nothing acutely obvious on x-ray, and no arthritic changes, it might be a soft tissue injury. Those can take a long time to heal, and they're easily re-exacerbated (probably more so in cases that haven't fully healed before a return to normal activity). Did the vet x-ray shoulders and neck, too, or just the affected foreleg?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To answer your question. yes, the vet x-rayed shoulder and neck too. His conclusion was that twisting the ankle had caused inflammation and nothing else was involved.

Murray finished his second course of Deramax on the 13th. He's back to normal, but I'm still keeping his walks a little shorter for now. I also got him a ramp for getting out of my car.

That front leg has always worried me because it is so twisted- sometimes it looks like the foot is almost pointing backwards(you can see it slightly in the picture at left). This is the first time he's had a problem with it, but as he ages I'm going to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've had chows for many years who have all been prone to strains and many vet visits later one breeder I had purchased a pup from suggested I try rhus tox a natural remedy which has worked within 24 hours. Touch wood I haven't had any limping problems with Menna so don't know how effective it is with bassets.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
On one of the veterinary shows on Animal Planet a basset hound with a severely turned out paw was operated on to fix the deformity. It worked very well and probably prevented the early onset of arthritis in that leg. I know surgery is scary and expensive, but has your vet mentioned anything like that to you?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, and honestly, I'm opposed to surgery for Murray for anything short of a life-threatening event: he has alot of allergies and tends to react badly to medications in general- he had a rough time recovering when he was neutered.

The x-rays showed that his joints are healthy up to this point, and my plan is to just manage the situation. I'm hoping the car ramp helps to lessen some of the stress he puts on that leg. And I'm just going to keep an eye on it in general. (A couple of years ago,the vet mentioned anal gland surgery for Murray because he was having chronic problems with them, but I've chosen to just manage that too with added fiber in his diet and expressing them regularly)

By the way, I saw that episode on Animal Planet too- I love it when they have bassets on! :p !

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts