Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am scheduled for a colonsoscopy tomorrow morning, and was 1/2 way through the 64 oz. of Miralax I had to consume for the prep.- Murray was lying next to me on the couch, keeping me company between trips to the bathroom.

He sat up, stared at the floor, fell off the couch, and after lying still for a few seconds started staggering around the room- his rear end went completely out from under him, and he fell.

Well, it was quite a trip to the vet! I was in a panic because I didn't know what was happening: didn't know if he had gotten into poison, was starting to torsion- I didn't even stop to get completely dressed- just picked him up and ran all 65 pounds of him to the car(I may need back surgery after this!), packed him on the seat, next to me, and raced to the clinic.

By the time we got there it was over. They took some blood and checked him out while I used their bathroom facilities a few times. He's sleeping now, and I've spent the last 2 hours reading the threads and articles on Cyberhound regarding seizures.

It's been an eventful evening. The articles and links on the Cyberhound site have really helped me understand better what happened.

I'm hoping this is a once and done episode. :unsure:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope everything is ok with both you and Murray!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I'm sorry you had such a scare. Let us know what the blood work shows.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Oh, my! How frightening for you!! Lots of luck and let us know how you guys both make out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sending Drool & toddler wipes your way! God Bless you both! If you can get through the prep work the actual colonoscopy is a breeze. All I wanted was a bagel with schmear afterwords! Extra snuggles for Murray!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The blood work came back- there are no abnormalities of any kind. So for now, I'll just watch him to see if it happens again.

And thanks for the concern with the colonoscopy- I should have mentioned it was just a routine screening(although with all the excitment last night, the prep certainly wasn't routine! :blink: )

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I'm hoping that Murray will be fine and it was a one time thing.

Colonoscopy preps are AWFUL but I hear there's a one-time-only pill that can be taken (which I'm sure my insurance won't pay for) as I'm due for one too.

Hope "everything came out okay" (sorry I couldn't resist) for the both of you! :lol: :p :lol:

My first basset Bud had seizures and once fell into the swimming pool. My dad rescued him.

K

·
0 Posts
Having had an epileptic dog - I know how scarey that first fit can be (and can be a one off too - hopefully!)

Hope you are all ok :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Our late cocker had occasional seizures. The first few times were terrifying, but once we got over the panic, we learned to just set near her, talk to her quietly, and wait it out. The seizures never lasted very long, and once her little head cleared, Molly would greet us with wags and kisses, like we'd just returned from an extended trip :rolleyes: . We never medicated her for the seizures, she lived for 13 years and went to the Bridge from something not at all related to her seizing.

As for the colonoscopy -- the procedure is sooooooo easy. But the prep! You'd think there'd be something more palatable than the junk you have to drink......

·
Registered
284 Posts
Best of luck to you I really, really hope it was a one time thing. :(

Only time will tell.

Lou, Lea and Kit who's on his 15th week seizure free

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had a lab who developed seizures but as aruuuu states I would be there with him and reassure him everything was OK. The worst would be that he would be incontinent and that would embarras (sp) him. He was so happy when they were over. He lived to be 15 also and we never medicated him because they were never frequent enough. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Oh, my! Sure hope Murray is still doing OK and no more seizures. I had that procedure this summer, and I agree the prep is worse than the procedure. Hopefully your results of the test were OK. Give Murray a hug.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts