Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm freaking out right now. Murray just did something so out of character for him, I almost feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

We were waiting to get checked out at the vets office after a routine anal gland expression/nailclipping. There was huge male great dane-shepard mix behind us.The dog wasn't intruding on him at all as far as I can tell. And Murray jumped him. Jeesh, talk about illusions of grandeur- Murray is tiny compared to this dog- what the heck was he thinking?!!

His leash got wrapped around my legs and I actually fell to the floor while the dogs scuffled. What a scene!

Murray is 6 now and has never done anything like this before- I take him to lots of dog events for pet therapy and he is used to being around all kinds of dogs. In recent years he has lost interest in playing with other dogs, but he's relaxed around them. Now I'm a little worried about taking him to pet therapy events- if he would jump another dog at a therapy event it would be a disaster.

I'm not sure what to make of this- does anyone have any comments? Maybe I should have the vet test his thyroid?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mahna- thanks for your response- and Mike: thank you for the link to the EXCELLENT article!

The truth is that my attention was on writing a check, and while Murray was on a short leash by my side, I didn't really see what lead up to his attack on the other dog.

The dog he jumped was young, and might have been acting rudely to Murray as the article, and Mahna, suggests-

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Murray around other dogs for awhile, but that article gave me a better perspective on what might have happened-

After 6 years of living with a total smoosh, this just really took me by surprise-

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.