Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm freaking out right now. Murray just did something so out of character for him, I almost feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

We were waiting to get checked out at the vets office after a routine anal gland expression/nailclipping. There was huge male great dane-shepard mix behind us.The dog wasn't intruding on him at all as far as I can tell. And Murray jumped him. Jeesh, talk about illusions of grandeur- Murray is tiny compared to this dog- what the heck was he thinking?!!

His leash got wrapped around my legs and I actually fell to the floor while the dogs scuffled. What a scene!

Murray is 6 now and has never done anything like this before- I take him to lots of dog events for pet therapy and he is used to being around all kinds of dogs. In recent years he has lost interest in playing with other dogs, but he's relaxed around them. Now I'm a little worried about taking him to pet therapy events- if he would jump another dog at a therapy event it would be a disaster.

I'm not sure what to make of this- does anyone have any comments? Maybe I should have the vet test his thyroid?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well Bogie isnt a pet therapy dog or anything, but he usually plays well with every dog we meet (with the exception of his breedism against huskies and boxers who pester him). I'm not sure Bogie had ever seen a great dane before I brought him over to a friends house who has a great dane puppy that is 140lb and still growing. I think Bogie was just intimidated by the sheer size of the dog, and wanted to establish his dominance before the other dog had a chance too. Unlike your story however the dane wanted to play, and kept approaching Bogie and trying to swat at him. And thats a pretty heavy hand to come swatting at a little basset hound.

I doubt my similar story was of much help...

Dogs seem pretty sensitive at they way you or each other look at each other, so even if the dane mix wasn't invading Murray's space or anything, he could have been giving him "the look", which set Murray off. Also, I've noticed that all dogs seem a little edgier at the vets office, no matter how well trained they are. Once a dog was in my vets office while the owner filled out paper work, the dog wasn't even going to see the vet or anything, and he was just not comfortable. If this was really the first time, I don't think I'd rush to guess it's a thyroid condition or anything serious. I would certainly keep a very close eye on his behavior and be a bit more cautious with free leash space around other (especially large) dogs, all the while hoping it was a one time thing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
Macey was having a lot of problem with certain BC's at agility trials. It took me a bit to figure it out but is was related to the hard stare of many of that breed. She lust doesn;t tolerate that rude behavior. Now that I know what the problem is I am more concscious about keeping an Eye ot for certain BC's an avoid a problem before it starts.

Just because you did not see a behavior that set murray of does not mean one did not occur. Not making excuses for the dog, you will need to be moer diligent around danes in the future.

He Just wants to say Hi!
"Aggression or appropriate response to rudeness? Far too many dogs suffer because handlers & trainers don't know the difference between the two. "

edited to add that if it was muray's intent the dane would have had loes in him. Keep in mind what what often we humans call aggression is a form of doggie v doggie comunication . Much like cussing and yelling, while it may not be appropriate in the end such displays often reduce the risk of a more serious encounter later on rather than increase it.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mahna- thanks for your response- and Mike: thank you for the link to the EXCELLENT article!

The truth is that my attention was on writing a check, and while Murray was on a short leash by my side, I didn't really see what lead up to his attack on the other dog.

The dog he jumped was young, and might have been acting rudely to Murray as the article, and Mahna, suggests-

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Murray around other dogs for awhile, but that article gave me a better perspective on what might have happened-

After 6 years of living with a total smoosh, this just really took me by surprise-

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Ruby is so unpredictable which dog she likes. There are no guarantees that she will not bite. I took her to the Basset Hound Walk in Stanley Park & she immediately recognized her own breed without hesitation. Sniffing her & Ruby sniffing them, but as soon as another type of dog she lunged for them. One man invited me over to meet Ruby. I was standing there with Ruby on her Gentle Leader about 2 ft. away. His Basset was a rather long haired type and barked just like a seal. As we were talking and without warning, she lunged and bit the dogs ear with blood and all. The guy's wife was crying and I am saying if you want to take him to a vet. The husband was calm about it all. The souvener t shirt that we picked up at the meet had a drawing of a basset biting the other one's ear. How appropriate!!!! Ruby is an super alpha female and just has to hump who ever she likes whether it's his head or ----. Oh and she is spayed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I still have to be very careful with Peanut (she's 8)...especially around dogs she doesn't know. She is the "alpha" dog wherever she goes...my sister has a Pit/Shepherd (sp?) mix and outweighs Peanut by about 20 lbs...makes not difference...I see that "stare" coming and watch out! She and the dog next door have a very serious love-hate relationship...Sandy is very protective and aggressive over the fence and Peanut will just go straight at her! Of course..Tarquin usually starts it...

I also have to watch Peanut around little dogs..same dominance issue...my parents just got a new toy poodle...tiny thing...and we had to keep her away from Peanut for a couple of days so she could get used to her "being in her space", even then we still have to keep an eye on her! She seems to be fine at places like Petsmart and the park...but I guess her "domain" or what she considers her "domain" is a problem area. The vet..NO...she's terrified and just wants out...the more she can hide herself...the less the vet can see her...

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Maybe Murray felt threatened?

Once we were at the vet and Ruby must have looked at a beagle the wrong way, because that dog attacked Ruby. Almost when to her throat! The vet got the beagle and put it in the storage room; it's owner was freaked.

Ruby growled but was still wagging.

janice and little Ruby

·
Registered
773 Posts
My dogs are usually very stable around other dogs, but every now and then, for no apparent reason, they get snarky. In fact, at an outdoor show last year, I took Edith Ann out of her ex-pen for a training session, she made a beeline for a dog that was visiting her breeder, and went for her. Caught me completely off-guard because Edith is usually so reliable! I came down on her for it, and now I know I have to keep my antenna up around other dogs. She hasn't done it since, so there must've been something about this particular dog that Edith just plain didn't like. And Eloise can be snarky if she thinks someone is trying to one-up her, so I have to watch her, too.

Dogs speak a different language, and I sometimes think smaller dogs feel threatened by bigger ones and just decide to make the first move.....

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Remember too that the vet's is one of the most stressful places a dog can be. Murray had been poked and prodded in places that should never be poked and prodded, then this amazon dog comes at him. I'm betting it was a one-time event, but you will have to be diligent in the future. And if it does happen again, then I'd have him checked out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
With Ruby there is nothing predictable. My friend has 2 Chiwawa's (sorry for the spelling) and when we went to visit her her dogs were in Ruby's face barking. Ruby did nothing about it at all. She walked gingerly around them. My friend looked after Ruby when I was away on holiday's and nothing at all happened. The Jack Russel wee dog next door Ruby delighted playing with him even though he was tied up, and Ruby on her leash. When we are out walking though, any dog leashed or unleashed she will automatically lunge at them barking viciously. It's all I can do to hang on to her. So you see I have to be on guard all the time. Bonnie

·
Registered
782 Posts
Back when Francis could see his fur used to rise when he saw very large dogs but he never growled or attacked. Then he went blind and he now uses scent to figure out friend or foe. His best friend in the world is a sweet, dear old brindled Mastiff named Nero. One time Francis was gambolling through the park and he walked completely under Nero and sure did a double take when he caught wind of his buddy. Cool old Nero just placidly watched Franny traipse through his legs and didn't even bat an eye.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts