Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our toddler granddaughter Ruthie came for a visit yesterday- she met Murray and Minna for the first time and was so excited! She LOVES dogs, and even charmed Minna, who is normally scared of kids:

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is so sweet. My boyfriend and I have a dachshund as well as bassets... they are a fun pair together.. anyways adorable grandkid(s?) in the picture :]

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Your dogs are such a great looking pair! I have always liked dachshunds! I briefly considered getting one before I got Yogi but bassets are my true love. Is Minna a real friendly one? Your granddaughter is adorable!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is Minna a real friendly one?[/b]
Because Minna spent 3 years before we adopted her in a house with 2 old people who loved her dearly but couldn't care for her properly, she was never socialized to dogs or people.

She literally was never outside- she used a litter box when we first got her, and she was terrified of our backyard and grass.

So her initail reaction to everything is fear. She's come a long way in the 3 years we've had her, and once she's comfortable with something, she's very affectionate and sweet.

My husband is the dachshund guy- he's had them his whole life, usually more than one at a time. It seems like alot of people who have bassets have a doxie as a second dog-

·
Registered
51 Posts
Because Minna spent 3 years before we adopted her in a house with 2 old people who loved her dearly but couldn't care for her properly, she was never socialized to dogs or people.

She literally was never outside- she used a litter box when we first got her, and she was terrified of our backyard and grass.

So her initail reaction to everything is fear. She's come a long way in the 3 years we've had her, and once she's comfortable with something, she's very affectionate and sweet.

My husband is the dachshund guy- he's had them his whole life, usually more than one at a time. It seems like alot of people who have bassets have a doxie as a second dog-[/b]

It's funny you say that because my daughter wants a small dog she can hold on the couch and we are considering a female dachshund to name "Daisy" to go along with our Rosco and Cletus. Yes, both Rosco and Cletus think they weigh 10lbs a piece and can sit on anyones lap :)

·
Registered
20 Posts

Wow, I did'nt know dogs could be litter box trained. Adorable family anyway, I believe that their is no better kid dog then a basset. I have 2 year old twins, so I should know, they are sooo very tolerable and gentle.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, I didn't know dogs could be litter box trained.[/b]
Neither did I.She used a litter box with the former owners because they were afraid of falling if they took her out side -they were well into their 80's.( They are in assisted living now- Minna spent a couple of days with them when we traveled to Connecticut 2 Christmas's ago, before they went into the nursing home- they were so happy to see her!)

I started from square one to get her housebroken. She's really smart and caught on fast- she rings a bell on the door now to ask to go out. And the backyard has become her favorite place in the world - we can hardly get her to come inside!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yes, I have heard of litter boxes for dogs, I think they are called Second Nature. I think more people in big cities might use them. They are made for small dogs.
How sweet it was of you to take her to visit her first owners. That must of really made their day!
Sounds like she has done really well in your home. I think she is adorable!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts