Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 6 yr old Louise has been sneezing like 6 or 7 times in a row today ( so have I, but I think the pollen might be picking up.) I checked her to see if she was okay, and discovered a huge "chunk" of light green mucus in the corner of her nose. It smelled very bad, so I'm thinking it must be infected. (Sorry to gross people out here!) I tried to clean the rest out with a Q-tip, which was really fun for her, and it keeps sort of building up about every hour or so. Anyone know what might be going on? I know she has bad skin allergies in the spring and fall, so maybe this is related, but it's never happened before. thanks! B.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I'd call the vet first thing tomorrow if Louise were my dog.

Check out The Nose Knows:
If Fido has a runny nose, suspect a foreign body in the nasal passage or illness, allergy, or a tumor. Dogs don't get colds like people do, but they do get respiratory infections.
A discharge from the nose generally means trouble. Several diseases involve nasal discharge, including distemper, bacterial rhinitis, infected sinuses, and kennel cough (in puppies and toy breeds), so a trip to the veterinary clinic is definitely in order if Slugger' nose begins to run.
Keep us posted on how Louise is doing.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I would get it checked out, just to be safe.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Duke the beagle is just getting over a sinus infection,some amoxicillian(sp) and a antihistmine and he should be good to go this weekend,he was also really laid back and not as active as normal due to a low grade fever.we all were on a rabbit training run when after 45 minutes he just started to sneeze and would not stop,since where i was running the hounds was dry i figured that he it got irritaed than.

[ September 06, 2005, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: pinehawk ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts