Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, Mr. Buddylee during the past 2 days has had "droopier" eyes than normal. This has happened one other time in one eye, now it is in both. Lower part of eyes are much lower than normal, with way more red showing and almost no visibility of brown Iris (rolled back). He has been keeping his eyes closed more than usual and eyes are watering a lot. It's getting better. The only thing I tried was homeopathic eye drops. We think he may have irritated both eyes by snooping around in the backyard? Maybe scratched both eyes against some shrubs? Or maybe allergy? Does anybody have thoughts or similar experience. The good news is, that they are healing and getting close to normal looking(although still watering). It would be helpful to know the cause. Any guesses?
Many Thanks, JB

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hi,
I don't want to be an alarmist, but in my opinion *any* basset eye problem needs a pronto look by the vet. Bassets are prone to glaucoma, which left untreated, can lead to blindness very fast. Even with prompt attention, it's a hard one to treat. :(It's usually in one eye at a time, not both, so it's probably quite unlikely that's what you are seeing, but I'd have it checked out anyway.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Worm always has eye problems. And true, when I first saw yellow discharge coming from his eyes, vet said they wanted to see him, so I agree w/shallb's post below to consider getting it checked out. My cousin's an optometrist and feels bad the basset eyes are like this. She said that humans get it too, usually in elderly. Results in dry eyes that make more prone to infections. anyways, yeah, Worm got some eye infections (vs. allergies). We have a tube of antibiotic eye ointment, which the vet gave us to use when his eyes look bad... i think we use it every few weeks or so, in at least one eye.

(Worm's eyes gets irritated from going to dog park too, as there's a lot of sand and dirt that get in his eyes. also, he's in the car w/me a lot w/the heater and air conditioner on, which also dries his eyes out... oh, btw, we also use Genteal eye drops [over the counter] occasionally if i feel his eyes are getting dry...])

ah, just found some pics. you'll have to enlarge to see his eyes better...

Attachments

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Given the time of year one can not ignore the possiblity of allergies. Fischer went to an E-vet once when at a agility trial because booth of his eyes were rolled up. Of course we were camping under Pines during the height of pine pollen season. It was allergy/irrtation from the pollen which he had not manifested in such a way before or since but then again the amount of pollen was emence.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Given the time of year one can not ignore the possiblity of allergies. Fischer went to an E-vet once when at a agility trial because booth of his eyes were rolled up. Of course we were camping under Pines during the height of pine pollen season. It was allergy/irrtation from the pollen which he had not manifested in such a way before or since but then again the amount of pollen was emence.
This seems to make sense. He is recovering nicely, even during the last day. So the pollen may be in the process of being washed out of his eyes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts