Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
Proud owner of a male Bassethound.
I am getting ready to move from an apartment to a house. The new place has a large back yard and I plan on letting my Bassett enjoy his new freedom. So far I have been over there several times during the last week and taken my Huckleberry Hound with me.

The problem so far has been that he does nothing but bark, bark, bark constanly while he is in the backyard. I have brought his food bowl and plenty of water. I even have played with him before and after but he just seems to be in constant bark mode all the time he is back there.

Anyone else experienced this problem and have a solution or did it finally solve it self. Thanks in advance.

Maskingman
aka Ken owned and manipulated by one Huckaberry Hound[/img]

·
Registered
104 Posts
don't have a solution, but I live in an apartment too, and once in a while, I take Boo to my parents and put him in their front yard. and like Huckleberry, he barks and howls. I think it's because he's lonely and wants attention.

is the yard fenced in or is he on a leash of some sort? because i've also heard that tying them on a lead outside isn't advisable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My first bassett Shorty did the same thing. I moved from the house he grew up in, to a new house. He would bark nonstop. I used a squirt bottle with water (this was summer time). When he started barking I would go in the backyard and Shorty would run up to me....SQUIIIRRRRT

After two or three days Shorty decided the barking-squirting thing wasn't fun. I never got on to him about barking when there was a reason, like other animals in the yard or people coming to visit.

H

·
0 Posts
My Basset barks when I put him out in the yard too. At first he is ok, but within 5-10 minutes, he's barking all the time. I came to the conclusion that he barks because I am not out there with him! If I go out there and stay within his view, he doesn't bark. :wink: SPOILED ROTTEN!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
barking bassethound

Well we finally have moved and so far we have been splitting the dog's time between the house and the yard.

He usually barks or lets us know that he needs to go outside, we have been leaving the back door open so he does seem to be going outside.

He is still barking when out side by himself but so far he has been adjusting to his new environment.

Thanks all for your inputs and any other suggestions are appreciated.

I just started today taking him on a long walk in the evening. Something we used to do and that made him happy or it seem to make him happy.

Thanks again
Maskingman

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yeah, I think he just needs some adjustment with a new surrounding, new smell, new neighbour, new yard.
Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Basset Hounds are pack animals. They want to be with their pack. You are their pack, so they want to be where you are! I assume that your backyard is fenced - if so install a doggie door. Then your guy can go in and out as he pleases. I think you will see that he wants to be where you are - after all, that is what he is used to. Also a dog doesn't really get that much exercise in a backyard. And who wants to be on house arrest, you know?! So the walks are very important. Your dog is a scent hound and has already smelled every blade of grass in the backyard, so a walk gives him exercise for his legs and his nose!

Congratulations on the new house! You will have to post some pictures of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts