Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, yeah, we r having a nasty infestation right now, yuck! :(
My peeples killed 30-40 adult & larvae (worm-like) moths in all stages, and cocoons & stuff tonite. They're kinda grossed out. We've been having a few moths flying here & there, but nothing like this. We just moved in less than a year ago.

Well, looks like it's in the big closet. Definitely could be the clothes. But we wanted to see if anyone has thoughts about moths & dog stuff, because there's 2 shelves of my dog stuff in there too....

1. For example, I have three 15lb bags of dog food in there. They have never been opened before. Anyone know if moths can get in through the bags or something?

2. Couple of weeks ago when there were a few moths flying around, we already threw away partly opened bags of dog treats & cookies & stuff. Anyone know if moths eat rawhide or dog bones? Some of them are opened, but we put them in ziplocks now.

3. Interesting, new dog toys were in there. My person was going to give me a skunk stuffed animal dog toy she got me awhile back. There were silk cocoons there, it seems : ( eck. anyone have experience w/moths & dog toys....? we have a lot of dog toys & stuffed animals out, but were not really thinking moths would be living on them...

4. ugh. and of course, anyone know good treatments, that aren't gonna me toxic to me & the peeples.....??

yuck, yuck, yuck. Boomah, man, couldya lend ur insect-catching skillz? they are needed badly..!!!
--Worm

·
Registered
972 Posts
There are always moths flying around at Petsmart...they do burrow into dog good bags and boxes of treats :( also clothes...anything organic. I have no advice on how to get rid of them though...moth balls? ( I'm sure Mikey can come up with a helpful neuticals comment here! ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry to hear about your moth problem, Wworm. Make sure your mommy puts all of your treats and food in zip lock or sealed plastic containers. She should put the people food in sealed containers too. That is the only advice I can give, I don't know of a way to get rid of them, maybe fly paper or sticky traps?

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I'm sure Mikey can come up with a helpful neuticals comment here!
Well if wormy did have "moth Balls' There would be a lot less of others dogs at the park geting up close and personal

also clothes...anything organic. I have no advice on how to get rid of them though...moth balls?
Moths are the reason for cedar clossets They make satchals of cedar chips etc.
Clothes Moths: Identification and Control in the Home

Keep in mind most dog toys are foriengn made the could be the actual source of the original infestation,

Does Cedar Repel Clothes Moths?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
If any of the clothes/toys are made of wool or a wool blend, that will attract moths.

Also, some of the food/toys could have already been infested with larvae when packaged. So, even though they are sealed, they will have infestation anyway. That's how you get moths in food sometimes; it's there when you buy it (gross, I know).

Have your momma put your toys in ziplock bags and put them in a 0F or below freezer for at least 3 days to kill any larvae or moths, especially with new stuffed toys.

Don't overbuy on treats and food; buy it as you need it. If your momma can't resist a good sale (what momma can't? ;-), then do the same with the food and treats.

Cedar chips and mothballs in bags or use old pantyhose.

Boomer sez that you can use his insect catchin' skillz; he'll teleport them to you after his nap...

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hiya Basset Palz,

Thanks for all the helpful advice!!
all i can say is yeck, yeck, yeck-- we been dealing w/this all last week.
Boomah & Winston-- awesome that ya got skillz to catch da moths, yes pleeeeaz come over & catch them!

Snoopsmom, ziplocs it is! we bought those superhuge ones for the first time. and Mikey, we bought cedar too. Bowsah & Boomah, thanks too for all the hints. Boomah ya seem to know lots about this...! u were right-- my person couldn't resist good sales so stocked up on lotsa dog treeaats & dog food. one of my treats was the culprit. ugh. we had to look on the internet & read more about it.

so here's the update:
we located one of the biggest sources. A box of these Milkbone treats
Crunchy Treats | It’s Good to Give Milk-Bone
They've been in the closet for half a year-- we bought them on sale, like buy 3 boxes get one free or something like that. The box was intact. We could see a little white silky stuff coming out of the box, just a few strands, very easy to miss. My Auntie M wanted to look inside-- ummm, there was a whole moving colony living in there!!! we got grossed out. they took over & have been feeding on the treats for awhile.

my poor duck treats-- they apparently love those. me saw coccoons on the outside of 2 unopened bags of duck-wrapped yams. so they had to go into the trash.

actually, all my bags of dog treats, samples of dog food, bags of rawhide & bones, bags of treats my pals gave me for my birfday, all went to the trash can... it was quite depressing. that's why i didn't post much here last week :(

but my person said she will make it up for me by going to Petsmart & Petco to get new stuff, but she also said no more stocking up anymore, like Boomah says.

ummm... the answer is YES, moths can live on rawhide. we knew this 'cause an 8 year-old boy gave me a curled up rawhide bone. it was so nice, but my person put it away in a cabinet. we looked at it, and we'd say there were hundreds of egss laid in it, in all the crevices (it's wrapped up like a newspaper roll)... really disgusting. well, now we know.

eck. moths. well, at least most of them are gone now. and no more icky worms. they were so gross even my person didn't take a pic of them for photojournaling.
--g'night,
Worm

·
Registered
697 Posts
Maybe would start a collection for you to replace all your hard earned treats like they do when children loose toys in natural disasters? We could call it a wormathon perhaps?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Poor Wworm, sorry to hear about your treats, maybe you can beg your person to buy you some new treats! Love the Halloween costume! You could go trick-or-treating to homes in your neighborhood that have dogs, maybe get some treats that way!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Maybe would start a collection for you to replace all your hard earned treats like they do when children loose toys in natural disasters? We could call it a wormathon perhaps?
Haha, thanks Snoops & Henry, for watchin' my back!! Knew I could count on u guyz! and Wormathon-- melikes!! what a creative name, Henry :p

well, actually, me just complaining a lot. if we do a Wormathon, it should be to help a bettah cause like rescues or displaced animals or those with illness... kinda like the Jerry Lewis Telethon...

truth is, gotta confess, me is spoiled. you can read about it here on one of my previous blog posts. http://bassetworm.blogspot.com/2011/09/spoiled.html
all that stuff on top were the treats that we had to throw away. the stuff on the bottom shelves were the extra toys. me had plenty and a "supply" after my birfday partee. actually, it was more toys than i could play with.

i initially thought about giving them to my basset pals here on the forum...! like to Ms. Annie or Paisley or whoever wanted some/needed some. but then i thought about the postage and mailing it and everything... plus at the moment, me guesses they could have moths too. haven't seen any lately. knock on wood, so maybe not. but would hate to mail someone our moth problem...

I think me was just sad because i was looking forward to eating those treats after looking at the boxes so long. they aren't ones my person usually buys for me. plus, it felt like a depressing waste, throwing them all in the trash like that... :( and yeah, in the top left is that piece of rawhide that was growing like 200-300 moth egss or something like that... haha, now we know..!

ah well, my person had to throw out all her pastas, granola bars, cereal, packages, oatmeal... yeah, did feel kinda wasteful throwing out food.

so yeah, i'm just fine & i will survive....! my person bought me some replacement treats at Petsmart last week, but she says 'no stocking up anymore Worm.' Maybe that's a good thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts