Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what we saw at the waters edge this afternoon :blink: Can you see the gators head and eyes??

This sign is posted at the lake in our subdivision:

This sign is several feet from the first sign:

·
Registered
40 Posts
what part of Florida do you live in i use to drive down ther once a week form here to haul mail i went to fort myers and made a pick up in miami then headed back to wichita

·
Registered
608 Posts
GEEZ!!!!!!! Unbelievable :eek: : Never again will I complain about the odd fox in the back garden.

I've heard it said 'after a while you can get used to anything' but that is stretching it a bit. :huh:

Do they never come up on to that path? or get into people's back gardens?

I gather that they are a protected species.

Thanks, that was a real eye opener.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are protected. It is taken very seriously. They have been seen up on the grassy hill, but not often. They like to sunbathe and stay down at the waters edge. Some people ignore the signs and wade in the water up to their calves fishing :eek: Most people stand down near the edge when they fish but NO THANK YOU for me!! I'll pass. Our street is across the street from the walk. Our house is 3 houses up the block so Mr. Gator would have quite a distance to reach us. Also our backyard doesn't face water, just another neighbor!!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yikes! :eek: That would make me nervous! I think we watch way too much TV and have a fear of being eaten alive (though that is probably one of the most unlikely ways to go). We Northerners have this unfounded idea that all bodies of water in the south are inhabited bygiant man-eating alligators. The most dangerous reptiles we have to worry about around here are rat snakes. They are aggressive but harmless. It's rumored that there are rattlesnakes here, too, but the last confirmed sighting of a rattlesnake in our town was in the late forties.

I hear that you also have mosquitos the size of small birds n Florida... ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yikes!!!! I don't know if I could handle living with the gators....I hope that your beautiful hounds never become too curious and that the gators stay far far away from your house. :blink: :blink:

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Interesting pics - although I'm obviously not a good gator spotter... <_<

The "No swimming" is waisted on me, I would never come up with that idea! :blink:

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maggie

Looks like he is center of the picture about midway a little above the grass line, but I cant open the picture any bigger to see.

Over here in Texas the alligators are so plentyful now we can hunt them.There's a town east of Houston that has a "Gator Fest"
http://www.texasgatorfest.com/

When I have gone fishing/crabbing the gators would always be hanging around.You would see the eyes and then they would submerge only to come up a little closer. I really dont get bothered by them.We have a state park here that when you go on a walk on the trails you have to watch where you go.They like to lay right in the middle of the trail and sun and dont like to move.Their eyes are always on you though. Although I'm sure a basset would make for a quick meal so be careful.
I'll tell ya what though they are good eating.You have to know how to cook them though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Gee, I would not want to meet the man who molested a gator- he would probably be hard to arrest!
shakerag

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
No, the mosquitos in FL are the size of jets....not small birds. :p At least when we lived there. The palmetto bugs (flying cockroaches) are the size of birds. When I saw the first one, I was ready to move back to Bassetchusetts!!!!! :lol: When one was flying over Ruby's head, she ducked. So it wasn't just me being freaked out.

Janice and little Ruby

1 - 15 of 15 Posts