Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is still a bit uneasy for sure. He growled again today at my girlfriend and her 2 year old. I was embarrased because she was leaving her here with me and she probably thought the dog would bite her daughter. Any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
It will be at least a couple of weeks before Danny is "at home" in his new home. Be patient, all of you are still getting used to each other. It will get better :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just rub his Hound Ears and kiss his Hound Muzzle and let him know you love him. That is the best medicine I can suggest.
shakerag

·
Registered
775 Posts
I know he is going through an adjustment period but why is he growling?? It is an aggressive growl?? I would watch that just in case he does decide to nip someone??

·
Registered
360 Posts
He probably just needs some time to get settled. Where was he before he was with you? He may have just had a bad time before you got him. Imagine the stress of having to adjust to yet another environment. Perhaps having a little child around right away, before you two have bonded, is a bit too soon.

I adopted a mature foster hound last year and she had some little growlies and grumbles the first couple of days but nothings serious. I belive she was just finding her way. I spend serveral days with her, bonding and petting her and giving her lovies. They need to feel loved and secure.

Things will work out fine. Give him a calm and non-threatening environment, lots of affection and attention. Treats ;) and a little "space" to call his own. Maybe put his dog bed next to yours and reach down and pet him. Let him know he has a forever home now. He'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
sorry to hear you are having some problems.

we adopted a four/five year old male back in November. Now I'm not saying any of this will happen to you but i thought i'd just write about our story:-

We had no info in his past other than he's been in kennels for most of his life.

on our first night of having him he bit and drew blood on my (now ex) boyfriends thumb. to us this was for no reason but maybe we crowed his space or something. simon was dishing up his dinner at the time.

after Berty done this i didnt feel safe around him. i was scared of him from that moment onwards as neither of us have had any experience with an aggressive dog.

we decided to take the week off work so we can settle him into the house and introduce him to our puppy basset Snoopy. Each day he would growl at us or snoopy, steel her treats/food and there was nothing we could do about it as we were all scared of him. About four days later he bit simon again for no reason that we could see. he'd love to be stroked and would sit on your lap but if you wanted to get up to open the front door, have a pee or go start the tea then he would growl and his lips would quiver with agression. He wouldnt let Snoopy sleep in her own bed. Snoopy would walk out of a room if Berty walked in etc. he even barged the stair gate down to get to me and the kitchen gate to get to Snoopy in the middle of the night!

After one long whole week we rang the rescue center and sent took him back. we muzzled him so we could pick him up and put him in the car.

there was no way i could even think about him being around my nieces and nephews etc and they are a huge part of my life.

hope Danny settles in well. Try not to startle him or touch him when sleeping or eating and give him some loving when he askes for it rather than when you want to. Also never leave a child alone with him as you never know what could happen.

I love his picture - he looks lovely.

Good Luck

Clare

·
Registered
316 Posts
Growling....

My Venus is the sweetest, most docile dog I know. I got her at 11 months, and the first two weeks she growled, and even nipped at another dog at PetSmart.

He is freaking out because he is in a new environment with people coming in and out. Just relax and give him time. You want to show him off, but just give him his space and let him come up to people.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts