Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently discovered that I've been lying to my hounds!
I'm kinda looking for a new bed, I tend to not sleep much (a whole other story!). I've heard alot about the SELECT COMFORT SLEEP NUMBER beds, I thought I'd check it out. Well, in a couple of their series, they offer a GRAND KING. (A normal king size bed is 76x80, which we have, and I've always told the hounds was the biggest bed that Momma could buy, so we'd all just have to learn to share, LOL!) The GRAND KING is 80x98!!! Can you even imagine?! I think I could get a couple more hounds in a bed that size, or at least get a good night's sleep with the two I have!!! I'm thinking I need to take some measurements, wonder if we could even get that through the door... I just thought I should share, please don't tell my boys just yet, Momma will have to do some saving first!

·
Registered
181 Posts
My aunt and uncle recently purchased a sleep number and they love it! They found out they are two different numbers and have slept great ever since they got it. They said the bed came in boxes and they assembled it themselves, not hard. Can't wait to see if you get it and how much space you have left, if any.

T

·
0 Posts
I've been thinking about buying one of those, too. Because it comes in boxes, its the only way I'll ever be able to get a king sized bed in my upstairs bedroom. (We had to buy a split box in order to get a queen up there.) I, too, would like to add a hound someday. Twinkie is only half a basset, but she sure knows how to stretch out and take up her portion (and some of mine and hubby's) in the bed.

Janet 'n Twinkie

A

·
0 Posts
SHHHHHHHhhhhhh! If Pearly ever hears about this she will never leave the bed! yvonne

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
FWIW found the select comfort wholely unsuitable for sleeping with dogs.

1. the number does no directly relate to pressure but to air volume so depending where and how many dogs are on the bed changes the firmness of the mattress regardless of the sleep number.
Also why men and women ussually have different sleep numbers. Say a 35 with a 100# women is a lot softer than a 35 with a 200# guy on it.
Hound gets on or off the bed the firmness of the matress changes. found it impossible to get a nights rest with the darn thing.

Hound love it though, especial when no human is on it the air pressure is low so they just sink right in. The select comfort has been relagated to guest bed room where it is a big hit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've heard the same as Mikey T. I've heard that when you have a bed for two, and only one of you is sleeping on it, the air chambers equal out and you don't get what you want.

We had considered them as a replacement for our bed. We're now hoping to get one of those swedish sleep thingy's. We'll most likely get a pad to start, then when we can afford to, get the whole deal.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've never tried one, but my concern would be finding sheets that fit it. I have one of those pillow top beds, and it is hard to find sheets. Sometimes even the ones with the deep pockets don't fit.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
Standard sheet fit fine, it has ridged foam edges come plain or pillow top I have the plain version

"when you have a bed for two, and only one of you is sleeping on it, the air chambers equal out and you don't get what you want."
Most of the large sizes come with two idividual mattresses one for each side. As long as you stay on your side no problem. Move to the middle when only 1 person and yes the firmness will be less.

For those that are anal rententive about the appearance of the bed it also is not a good choice. Again because it is based on volume not pressure when no one is in the bed it is very soft. Impossible to make with clean sharp lines unless you change the "sleep Number" after you get up. and then again when you go to bed. Depending on the amout of air needed it can take as long as 1/2 hour to adjust.

It may sound like bashing but in reality it is a very comfortable bed provide that the circumstances are right. Unfortunately that means a consistent weight is applied to either half (or more precisely each individual mattress)

[ February 01, 2006, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Mikey T ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts