Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
**Title should be MY dog wets the bed while sleeping, i`m new and don`t know how to edit my title.**

I have a male 1 1/2 year old basset hound, he started wetting the bed about nine months ago. We took him to the vet and they ran every test possible on him.
He does not have:
Liver shunts
Uti
Ectopic ureter
Diabetes insipidus
Or anything else the vet could think of.
All tests came back 100% normal, he had blood work multiple urine tests X-rays and ultrasounds.
The only thing that came back wrong was as specific gravity test, we did a total of 20 and they all came back with a low specific gravity.
His other symptoms included:
Separation anxiety
Excessive drinking and urinating.

We took him for a second opinion and they felt his food could be too salty(at the time it was the lowest salt food we could find anywhere) so we switched to making his food, this has decreased the amount he pees and drinks but specific gravity and bed peeing was still a problem.
We then put him on an anxiety medication and he stopped peeing the bed in his sleep, not sure if it's a fluke or not.
But in the past month or so he has wet the bed three times. Not sure if we should up his anxiety dose or if that was a fluke and it never really helped..
We're at a loss for what to do and what could be wrong. Any relatable feedback or suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is neutered, but I think the vet ruled that out due to the low specific gravity of his urine, I will double check with her though. another thing to note is that he is not dribbling during the day or any other place then in bed at night. sometimes it`s a small spot the size of your fist and other times its an entire morning pee. hes always asleep when he does it because his sides are wet from it seeping onto him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it's hormonal, I think she figured the pee problem and the low spacific gravity are related so it must be something with both those things being a symptom. But I did send her an email to double check that.

·
Registered
13,013 Posts

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
Chemical Imbalance of Urine in Dogs | petMD
". These tests may confirm a urinary condition, with a low urine specific gravity of 1.000 to 1.006 g/ml, and excessive amounts of alkaline phosphates (ALP) in the blood serum, which would suggest hypoadrenocorticism or primary liver disease. High cholesterol is another common finding in dogs with hyperadrenocorticism."

Addisons disease basically the opposite of Cushing, not enough cortisol.

Addison's Disease (Hypoadrenocorticism) in Dogs

both are not rare in basset hounds though it would be rare in a young dog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Addisons was a no, and I believe Cushings was to, we did two sets of full blood work as well as a bile acid test. Two full urine tests sent away and a ultrasound of all organs to look for abnormalities..and our vet consulted with the head of diagnostics in pei vet collage, who suggested we do a full reneal biopsy, which we would prefer not to do as it's pretty invasive. I'll double check on the Cushing but I'm pretty sure it was ruled out.

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
Basset's do not have the normal satiated mechanism as normal dogs, that is they are always hungry. some dogs with unlimited access to water will drink to try and fill full/not hungry. It does not work well. Excessive drinking in this breed does not necessarily equate to a disease process, but the only way to figure that out is eliminate all the possible diseases. Excessive drinking in and of itself could cause low specific gravity urine. excess Drinking however is not without risks.

The Danger of Water Intoxication | The Bark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have not checked his spacific gravity since changing his food, maybe now that he's drinking a normal amount the should has gone down. Will have to suggest checking that to my vet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is she spayed? I know some shelters spay them that young. . .if so, it could be spay incontinence. My first dog was "leaky" and always woke up wet like that. She had to wear doggy diapers in the house. There are medications that work for some dogs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts