Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped Molly off this morning for her spaying, which will be this afternoon. The house seems so empty now:(

As she wasn't allowed any food after 9 PM yesterday, she is probably moody and rammy...she gets like that when she's hungry. Hope my little angel is behaving at least somewhat. She's incredibly high energy...even her vet agrees she has more energy than any basset he's ever seen. Think good thoughts for Molly...and her vet :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Healing thoughts for Molly from Annie and I.

I still remember when Annie was spayed...she hated the cone LOL. I had to tell her to hold her head up when we went out for potty breaks or the cone would get caught in cracks on the sidewalk. Silly girl.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just heard from the vet and Molly is resting comfortably. She'll be home tomorrow afternoon and hopefully back to her mischievous self before long.

Thanks for all the well-wishes, everyone!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Molly's home and we're both happy she's back. She's a little sore but not much worse for wear. We opted for laser surgery and I really think that made all the difference with her pain. Now, to keep her calm and away from her stitches...

Thanks for all the good thoughts, everyone. We both appreciate it...you're a good group of people :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm glad she's back and doing so well! Hope she recovers quickly from it! I've got that to look forward to with Virga next month. I'll probably be a nervous wreck. I was with Doppler but hopefully it'll be easier the second time around.

We opted for laser surgery and I really think that made all the difference with her pain.
If you don't mind my asking, what's the difference in price, roughly, from the laser surgery to the old-fashioned surgery? Also, what's the fudamental difference between the two and is the recovery time quicker with the laser surgery? Sending healing drool and sniffles from Doppler and Virga!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The laser surgery cost an extra $75; that's in addition to the regular cost of the spay. The benefit is that the surgery goes much quicker, thereby lessening the time the dog is under anesthesia. There's less bleeding, less risk of infection, and quicker recovery time. The last time I had a dog spayed was about 12 years ago and Molly seems to be in less pain and more like her old self in less than 24 hours. When my dog Zoey was spayed, she did well but seemed in more pain from what I remember.

My vet is a small practice (just hired a 3rd dr.) but they seem very up on the latest advances in vet medicine. The dr. who owns the hospital is also well-trained in stem cell replacement and seems to embrace new techniques and advances. I guess if you have the option and the cash to spend, then laser is a good way to go.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for sharing about the laser surgery. I didn't know it was available. I'll definetly be wanting that type of procedure for my next basset girl. Glad Molly is OK, she'll be back to her bassetself in no time! Thanks for taking such good care of her!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Interesting to know about laser surgery; thanks for the info.

And good to hear that Molly is doing well. I swear, having dogs is worse than having kids sometimes.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Molly had pain this morning, but once the Rimadyl kicked in she was as good as new. Her energetic spurts are shorter and a bit more tempered, but she is back to her old self. She had a bout of constipation but that's clearing up and she seems to be feeling better...eating and drinking like a champ (lots of accidents on the floor, as it sneaks up on her and she doesn't have a chance to tell me). I am still feeling guilty for putting her through this, even though I know the benefits far outweigh all the pain she has. She doesn't know that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Don't worry! She will be feeling better soon! It does take a little time. Lucy had some problems with holding her water after her spaying surgery. The Vet gave us something for it and it cleared up.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turns out the accidents Molly was having were the result of a UTI. Dr. is giving her antibiotics and hopefully her discomfort will end soon. She was pacing a lot, leading me to suspect a UTI. I wasn't sure though, as she's on Rimadyl and one of the supposed side effects was frequent urination. But blood in her urine proved my gut feeling to be correct. Poor baby...I feel terrible for her, but her spirits are so good through all of this.

·
Registered
70 Posts
hope Molly's back to herself soon and everything's cleared up quickly. Fred and our kitten are both going in next month for their spays and I'm already nervous.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's such a routine surgery, yet we get so nervous when it's our baby under the knife. All the best to Fred and kitty next month. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts