Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's exactly how my husband describes it, anyway. Tuesday morning I'll be dropping him off at the vet :( to have a bunch of his biggest problem cysts removed. This will be the last surgery he'll have (barring any other emergencies). I'm hoping that removing the worst of the cysts will improve the quality of his life for a while (hopefully a LONG while). Right now he's been wearing his e-collar off and on to keep him from licking and possibly infecting two cysts, one on his hindquarters and one on his tail... both have been bothering him more or less continuously for the last few months. It seems that one or the other is always bothering him, forcing me to put the e-collar on him while we treat the offending cyst. He's been miserable most of the summer. I figure if he has to wear the collar anyway, we might as well have some hope of some physical improvement and relief for Moe when it comes off.

Pray for a quick recovery with a minimum of discomfort, and more importantly, that the remaining cysts don't develope into problems for a looooooong time. And pray for me... I'll be a basket case until he's feeling better! :(

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
:( ah, poor little guy! :( poor Terry!

he'll do great, though, and he'll be so much happier once those awful cysts are gone. really he will.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
We're slinging lots of drool for Moe and his 2-leggers! Dart is slinging some very special drool to Moe cause he is recovering from the same thing. He had surgery about 10 days ago to remove a lot of tumors, cysts, open sores etc. that his perivious owner (who finally called rescue) couldn't be bothered to treat. The poor guy has about half his body shaved and more stitches than I can count, but it is well worth it! He is so much happier with all those horrible things gone from his body. We guess about 4 lbs of them.

Good luck with Moe's recovery. Give him lots of belly rubs and kisses from us. A treat certainly wouldn't hurt!

GET WELL QUICKLY MOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Sending lots of love and drool- Abby especially has much sympathy- her chin is currently bleeding from a draining something or other :unsure:

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm sure Moe will do fine. Maggie Mae had a HUGE cyst removed from her year once. It was so big, she would shake her head because it bothered her. I too was a nervous wreck over it. Hoping everything would go fine and the poor baby wouldn't be bothered by it. She did fine and it never returned. Our kids are so much stronger/braver than we think they are. The surgery will be harder for you than him. Sending lots of healing drool!

·
Registered
183 Posts
We wish him and you all the best. They do feel much better once the cysts are gone. Luther had three removed a few months ago and after a couple of days he was his old self! Try not to worry too much.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Wishing Moe the best. :)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In a few minutes I'll get ready to drop off Moe. I've got butterflies a-flutterin' inside me but Moe is blissfully unaware. The only thing that's got him upset this morning is that I haven't given him his morning cookies or his usual nibble of whatever I'd put in husband's sandwich today for lunch. I know this is going to be a worriesome day and a stressfull week but it should be followed by a good outcome for the rest of this year and possibly the next. We'll get through it...

If I have time later I'll let you know how we made out. The first time Moe had surgery the vet called me to pick him up early because he made such a racket after coming out of the anesthesia. We (I and my co-workers) could hear him over the phone, barking loudly in the background. When I picked him up he had lost his voice from barking so much, and he was very happy to go home. The vet said that any dog who could raise such a ruckus was obviously going to be fine and he'd be able to get more rest at home. (And the other recovering dogs would get more rest with him gone!:rolleyes:)

Off we go! Wish us luck! :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Good luck, Moe & get well soon!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went to pick up Moe this afternoon but I ended up having to leave him there overnite. After I got there one of his incisions began to seep and bleed. Dr. Condon said he wanted to keep Moe there so they could control his movement and therefore control the bleeding. He'll also be able to give him more morphine to keep him comfortable. Poor Moe!!! He looked like Frankenstien - covered with incisions and staples! :( I knew what to expect (some discusion on the health and genetics board prepared me) but knowing in your mind what to expect is one thing... and seeing someone you love looking like that is another. And leaving behind again was heartbreaking. They removed nine cysts from poor Moe. I know he'll be better in no time but I wish we could get there from here without seeing him uncomfortable and hurting. :( :( :( :( :(

Hopefully, he'll be feeling better tomorrow and I can bring him home. Tally misses him terribly... probably as much, or more, than I do.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hope everything goes well. Sending lots of drool fromCopper Patty,Dolly and their mom.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
They do tend to look like Frankenbasset for a while... :blink: :D

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh my goodness, Betsy!!!!! When you see them looking like that it breaks your heart! There's nothing sadder than a Basset who feels as sad as he looks. :(

Do you think I should use the e-collar when he comes home? For the better part of the day he'll be unsupervised (my son went back to school last week and my girls start back tomorrow). His cysts were mostly on his back and hindquarters, with one on his tail and another on his right front elbow. If I have to use the collar I will...

I may be able to stay home longer before going into work or maybe I can have my mother-in-law pop in to see him from time to time. Or both.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Dart is also a frankenbasset right now. Over half his body was shaved and I can't begin to count the number of wounds, stitches etc. I haven't had to use a collar on him because none of the incisions have bothered him at all. After the first couple of days, when he was still a bit groggy, I think he was so happy to have all the sores & tumors taken care of that the incisions were heaven compared to his presurgery condition.

I'd try to leave Moe without the collar under supervision for the first day or night and see if you can leave it off.

We'll keep slinging drool til he's back to his bassety self.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts