Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... and my heart is broken. :( He was the only dog we ever had who was mine alone. He never ceased to make me smile. He was the best friend I ever had and I don't expect to ever have another one so loyal and loving. He was unique in so many ways and no one could ever replace him in my heart.

Thank you to all who helped me when I had no clue what to do the wild, insane pound puppy I adopted eleven years ago. You guided me when I didn't know what to do, and you encouraged me when I was at my wit's end. You all helped me to change the wild beast who won my heart into the loveable hound I knew was inside. You all listened to the stories I shared of our wild and often hilarious exploits together. He was the joy of my life and he is sorely missed.

I don't think I can bear to visit again now that I am Basset-less. Thanks to you all. Goodbye.:(:(:(:(

Terry

·
Registered
878 Posts
Awww Terry, I am so very sorry to hear that you have lost your beloved Moe and although I didn't know Moe or yourself, please accept my sincere sympathy because I know just what you're going through. You will have your special memories of good times with Moe and I hope you will share some of them with those of us who didn't know Moe. xx

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
So many of the great old-timers have passed on- Biscuit,Toughy, Bubba, Spencer,Ruby, and now Moe. I feel like I got to know all these hounds over the years,and I miss them all on the forum.

I feel really sad for you. I know nothing I can say will make you feel better right now, but you are in my thougths. Sincere condolences.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
A lot of losses lately and I've shed many tears for each one. I feel like we're a family on here so we all feel some degree of pain at a loss. So sorry!

~Heather

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One story from Moe's youth...

...You will have your special memories of good times with Moe and I hope you will share some of them with those of us who didn't know Moe. xx
When I first told this story I called it "Frog-dog":)

For most of Moe's time with us I was a stay-at-home mom. One day after the kids went to school I was upstairs folding laundry and I thought Moe was safely snoozing downstairs. The kids were supposed to keep thier bedroom doors closed because Moe would raid thier rooms for forbidden toys to chew on. Many tears were shed over chewed up beanie-babies because a door was left ajar. As I was folding laundry I heard "ribbit-ribbit!". What the heck? I listened for a moment, heard nothing, and resumed my laundry folding. Then I heard "ribbit-ribbit!" again. I went into the hallway and saw my girls rooms were closed but my son's door was ajar. I peeked in and say Moe innocently lying on the floor near the bunkbed. He looked at me with that "What?" look that I'm sure you all know. He must have come upstairs quietly while I was working. He seemed to be behaving himself so I started back to my room and my laundry. No sooner had my back turned when I heard it again, "ribbit-ribbit!" right behind me! I turned and looked curiously at Moe. He looked back at me and then he sort of smiled, opening his mouth slightly. When he did I saw a flash of red come from his mouth, along with a clear "ribbit-ribbit!" sound. ???!!! :confused: I pried his jaws open and I pulled out my young son's frog flashlight - a small flashlight that looked like a frog and shined red light from it's mouth and made a "ribbit-ribbit" sound when you squeezed it. I had a good laugh over that one!

He ALWAYS made me laugh...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Oh, Terry. I'm so sorry to hear about Moe's passing. I have been Basset-less for just about a year now, but still come here to read of their antics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So sad for your loss i no what you are feeling.

I haven't been on here long but always check everyday (to have a nose) but read your post with tears in my eyes.

Keep strong, its one of the hardest things ive had to cope with in my life but it does ease with time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello Terry from Australia

You're with us in our thoughts as you travel through this sad journey. We always knew we would be devastated when our basset hound/s leave us but somehow it does not prepare us for the emptiness of our family/homes/lives and every day as we knew it and will always miss it. Such big dogs but with huge and unforgettable personalities to match so when they leave, they do tend to taken part of our hearts and souls with them. I hope one day when/if you're up to it, you'll post a pic of Moe so we can all admire and coo over the beautiful dog I'm sure he was and will always be in your hearts and in ours as basset lovers too.

Lots of Hugs

Sophies Mum

ooo

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm so very sorry for you Terry. I hope you are not Basset-less for long. They're all unique and special in their own way. I feel for you. Take care, Belinda.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I am so terribly sorry at your loss. They leave such big pawprints on our hearts.

·
Registered
275 Posts
So sorry for your loss. It hurts so bad, I know from experience. As I've shared recently on another post, we're coming up on the one year anniversary of loosing our basset. A couple of nights ago at the end of our evening meal, I had a few scraps of chicken I wasn't going to eat. I started to cry, my husband said, "what's wrong with you", I said "I miss Lucy...........I still can't eat a chicken dinner without thinking I'm going to give her the last few bites" and left the table in tears. Lucy never begged while we were eating b/c she knew she'd get a couple of bites when we left the table. She's waited quietly, she was so wonderful. I miss her very much. Even though it still hurts, I'm sticking to the theory of:
"it's better to have loved and lost, then to never have loved at all".

May God bless your family with comfort during this time of loss and if HE has a hound in your future, I'm sure it will be just as wonderful as MOE!

Peace!

Gsally

PS..........you said that you wouldn't visit Cyberhound b/c it's too painful right now, that's understandable. I actually didn't find Cyberhound until after Lucy was gone and I've appreciated reading all the post, sharing in all the stories, the joyful ones and well as the news of ATB memorials. It has really helped. Of course, NOTHING ever replaces that special hound, each and every one!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss. No matter how long or short of a time they are with us it is never long enough. But we go in knowing we will most likely outlive them.

The anniversaries get easier with time but you never forget. I know about a year or so after we lost our Savana I was rearranging the furniture to steam our carpets and found her favorite ball under the couch. I sat down and cried. Our other two dogs ran up to me wondering why... she had one favorite ball, it was one of the few toys she never tried to destroy and yet it was probably the most fragile of all her toys a small latex soccer ball. I put it up on the entertainment center after that next to her picture with her collar around it. My husband nearly teared up when he saw it after he got home as well. Funny but our other girl Roxie we got after her loves the exact same toy and carries it around as her baby when she goes through a false pregnancy.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Oh, Terry, I'm so sorry about Moe. I know your heart is breaking as our's did five years ago when we lost Bubba to Cancer. You have so many wonderful memories of Moe so hold them close and know that he will foreven be in your heart. We on this forum have many wonderful memories of the stories of sweet Moe. He will be missed, and but please stop in to visit the forum and let us know how you are doing. We have lost so many great cyber friends and their special hounds over the years, and we hope you will stay in touch with us.

When we lost Bubba we thought never have another Basset. It hurts to much to lose them. But a month later fortune smiled down on us, and Bogie came into our lives. He has kept us on the go since then. We'll never forget Bubba, and his picture hangs where we can see him every day. Just give yourself time to grieve and maybe some day another long eared, sad eyed, full of mischief, long backed, short legged pal will walk into your life.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Rest in peace, sweet, Moe.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Terry,
I am so sorry for your loss of Moe!! Mattie and my thoughts will be with you and your family. Tear fall from my eyes just thinking about your loss, I can't even begin to think of what you are going through. I just hope the memories of Moe and the love he shown you will give you comfort as you grieve him. Maybe in time when your heart has heal a little a hound will come into your life and you feel the love once again of a beloved hound kiss!!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
My heart aches for you, Terry. You and Moe had such a special bond. Take comfort in knowing that you provided him with a wonderful home and family.

·
Registered
608 Posts
So sorry to hear about your little friend Terry. Sounds as if you meant as much to him as he meant to you.

You took him into your home, gave him your love and care and when the time was right , you allowed him to be pain free. Can't ask more than that from a true friend.xx

·
Registered
65 Posts
Terry, I am saddened by your loss. We lost our beagle last May to cancer, and got our basset in August. Though we have had him for such a short time, he has a permanent place in our hearts. Remember the goof-ball things Moe did and remember him with a smile. That is how he would want to be remembered.

My prayers are with you and your family and this time of great sorrow.

Tammy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Terry - So very sorry to hear about Moe. I have posted on and off here for a number of years now and I remember Moe. I know how difficult it is to lose a loved one and you and Moe were very close. Again, I'm so sorry.

Judy

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you everyone for your sympathies. It's been a week now since he's been gone. I hate to come home now. When I pull into my driveway Moe always ran to the car and greeted me (if he was inside he'd bark to be let out when he heard my car). Now there is no one to welcome me home. It's a little thing but I miss his greetings so.:(

My neighbor brought his backhoe over last week and dug Moe's grave in my garden. He found a rock and placed it for a headstone. In the spring I'm going to plant pachysandra on the spot (it's a groundcover plant). When we built the deck I didn't dig up the pachysandra at the back of the house and it seems to thrive there underneath the deck. It was Moe's favorite place to sleep outside. He scaired me a few times because when he lay down in it you couldn't see him. I like the thought of him still sleeping in the pachysandra...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts